cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 slow in modem mode

fishy3005
Tuning in

Hi. Upgraded to a Hub 4 yesterday. The signal drops out in router mode so i switched it to modem mode to pair with a separate router but now my download speeds only reach 90 mbps. I was getting 300 mbps in router mode. 
i connected the hub 4 directly to my laptop via ethernet in order to rule out any issues with my tp link router. In modem mode via ethernet i am still only getting 90 mbps. So it is clearly not an issue with my tp link router. 
please help

29 REPLIES 29

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Perhaps it's your cable, try a new one 

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

What speed do you get at >> Sam Knows Real Speed << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

im collecting a Cat 6 cable from Screwfix later today. Hopefully this improves things. My current cable is a cat 5   😞

Check if you have QoS enabled on your TP-Link. also what are you using as a speed test - try OVH (proof.ovh.net)

Just fitted a CAT 6 cable and no change. Still only getting download speeds of just over 90 mbps hardwired directly to laptop trying numerous speed test sites. 

someone help please

OK.

With the laptop connected to the Hub with the Cat 6 cable and the Hub in Router Mode, can you Login to the Hub Settings and navigate to the Connected Devices page - what does it report the 'connection speed’ as for the cable connected device you used for the speed test ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

Under connected devices it lists my laptop with speed of 100 Mbps

Used speedtest OVH.com. Getting download speeds of 93.56 Mbps

@fishy3005 wrote:

Under connected devices it lists my laptop with speed of 100 Mbps

Assuming the Cat 6 cable is good, it now looks like the Network Interface Card (NIC) in the laptop is not capable of higher speeds or the settings are wrong.

Can you go into the laptop settings and check the NIC Speeds please.