cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 really worth upgrading

Gambit2
Joining in

Is Hub 4 really worth upgrading?

I upgrade my plan from 300mbps to 1gbps and as part of the upgrade they changed my hub. Now I get only 350mbps and that too with pathetic strength. Even if the device just 3 meters away strength of wifi fails significantly.This as not the case with Hub3. 

Any one has a quick hack for me? 

7 REPLIES 7

lotharmat
Community elder
Hmm - post up your full hub stats!

Let's see if the upgrade has happened!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Check the speed on a device connected on an ethernet cable directly to the Hub and report back.

What wifi devices are you using and are they capable of receiving the higher speeds?

Note that the Hub4 is not wifi6 and so the fastest you will get is the 11ac and not 11ax (wifi6) so fastest speeds from the Hub will be over ethernet - to get wifi6 - you need to use your own wifi6 router

See this from a recent article I have just been looking through

Screenshot 2021-07-09 at 18.25.28.png

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks, can you let me know best way to get these details. 

Thanks, will check and let you know. However my biggest concern is not that I am not getting 1gbps but strength of wifi. Earlier, with hub 3, if i roam between rooms my call will not get disconnected. But now if just take step out of my hall, wifi signal drops completely. Nothing else have changed other than my hub. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What details specifically? Just Google around for more info. Someone more tech savvy than I should comment on here soon.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Gambit2 wrote:

Thanks, will check and let you know. However my biggest concern is not that I am not getting 1gbps but strength of wifi. Earlier, with hub 3, if i roam between rooms my call will not get disconnected. But now if just take step out of my hall, wifi signal drops completely. Nothing else have changed other than my hub. 

I have never(ever) used the wifi from any Hub.  Anectdotal evidence on here is that the Hub4's wifi is not better in fact if anything worse that of a Hub3 - your experience supports that.

TBH if I had the 1GB package,  As a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, I would be straight off to Amazon (other suppliers are available) to get a Decent Triband WiFi6 Router or Mesh system as all my newest Apple kit is wifi6 enabled 😎

--------------------
John
--------------------

Thanks, that seems to be most sensible decision to take. Will update soon.