cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 in modem mode 1Gbps service drops to 94Mbs

johndm
Superfast

Update on my solution.

So I had the upgrade to 1 Gig from a stable 500 service, and immediately my speed started crashing to 94mb.

The hub 4 was slotted in with exactly the same cables as the old hub 3.

I previously had all flat cat7 ethernet leads to my modem as they were tucked into trunking, nice and neat and tidy.

I swapped to enterprise grade cat8 (overkill I know), and have had a stable 945 connection ever since. It 'isn't as neat and tidy as flat cables, but does prove thin cheaper cables can be an issue?IMG_5971.jpg

Hope this information helps others with the same issue 

Web capture_16-5-2022_10418_speedtest.samknows.com.jpeg

9 REPLIES 9

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

With the 1Gbps service from Virginmedia will only achieve around 940mbs due to the limit on a 1gbps network card, as these 1gbps cards are not capable of achieving full 1gbps due to overheads etc. Have a look at https://www.gigabit-wireless.com/gigabit-wireless/actual-maximum-throughput-gigabit-ethernet/

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@johndm wrote:

<snip>  I swapped to enterprise grade cat8 (overkill I know), and have had a stable 945 connection ever since. It 'isn't as neat and tidy as flat cables, but does prove thin cheaper cables can be an issue? 

It's all to do with the shielding on the cables.  A good quality Cat 6a cable would, most likely, have achieved the same result.  Thanks for the update,  BTW.  🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
The firmware is messed around to cause what looks like a problem thats not for a normal CAT6 UTP that for no reason is fixed by shielded cables.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi johndm,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Apologies for the issues faced with your network. 

As a test are you able to place the Hub in router mode and post the speeds you are receiving via ethernet?

Also are you able to set up a BQM?

Thanks,

Kain

The issue here is the services drops to 94Mpbs - not 940Mpbs.

It is a known issue - Hub4 -sudden drop from 1.1Gb to 94Mb in download 

@DJ_Shadow1966 wrote:

Hello

With the 1Gbps service from Virginmedia will only achieve around 940mbs due to the limit on a 1gbps network card, as these 1gbps cards are not capable of achieving full 1gbps due to overheads etc. Have a look at https://www.gigabit-wireless.com/gigabit-wireless/actual-maximum-throughput-gigabit-ethernet/

Regards Mike

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello johndm,

My name Is Adri, I work for the forum and VM.

I have sent you a PM in regard to the issues faced previously, please check this and reply back when you can.
Thanks

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Wait... are VM going to fix this?
---------------------------------------------------------------

PM answered 🙂

Keezza
On our wavelength

Flat Ethernet cables always suck