cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 drops to 94 meg port output UPDATE

johndm
Superfast

There are a few threads about the same subject, so starting a new thread for an update

Using Hub 4 in modem mode with my own router

Hub 4 speed from Ethernet port crashes to 94 meg on 1 gig service.

Reboot or Ethernet cable unplug/re-plug required to restore 945 meg from Hub to router

Since getting an upgrade from 500 with Hub 3 to 1 gig with Hub 4, Ethernet speed out of Hub 4 was crashing to 94 meg every two to three days.

Although I was using a brand new flat cat 7 cable, I thought it was worth swapping to an Enterprise grade cat 8 which I had going spare. (Used the flat type for convenience)

Fingers crossed, had a solid connection for 6 days now, monitoring carefully.

Hope I'm not tempting fate posting 🙂

IMG_59421.jpg

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Probably just a dodgy connection on the ethernet connector - I have had a few ethernet cables "fail" on me over the years

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I’ve found flat Ethernet cables to be useless and will never use Cat7, Cat6a is just as good.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
I wouldn't put it passed VM for the firmware to lower Tx power on the edge of causing a port link drop on low quality cables.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Full speed maintained for 9 days now, looks like the issue is defiantly linked to cheaper ethernet cables.

The same flat one worked fine on my 500 service for nearly 2 years