Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hub 4 Issues

I have tried to follow conversations on this forum re the many issues with Hub 4. I am 81 years old and not conversant with tech speak, so don't understand the answers.

My cable speed to PC is 361 - great. To my Android phone 33.87.

Working from home, my sons laptop keeps losing wi-fi.

Signal is poor in parts of house. We have the boosters from the previous hub.

I can't get to speak to a human being. I have the largest Virgin Bundle. Can a nice person visit , give me back a previous hub, or sort things out and supply new boosters?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 4 Issues

Save yourself a whole lot of grief and frustration and purchase your own Gigabit enabled Router of Mesh System.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Until yesterday the term Mesh meant for me something placed into my abdomen to cure a hernia.

I do not intend to spend £200 in addition to the high charge made by Virgin for my package. Also I do not need and have not asked for 1 Gbt.

After over an hour and several failed attempts to speak to a person, I have arranged to get back the previous hub, which worked well with the boosters supplied by Virgin.

Oddly no-one at Virgin could order me boosters compatible with Hub 4, though another member of the forum had received them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

A Gigabit enabled router does not have to have a 1Gbs signal, it means that it can be used for up to 1 Gbs speeds.

Anything less than a Gigabit router will not be able to use speeds of more that 100Mbs.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@ALB93 wrote:

Until yesterday the term Mesh meant for me something placed into my abdomen to cure a hernia.

😂

The Hub4 has had a few teething troubles for some people - they normally only supply them for customers on the 1GB package - but are also offering them to customers (like you) on lower speeds in areas where they would help connectivity.  But TBH, if the Hub3 was fine, you have done the right thing to go back to it and use the boosters.

Mike, I and the others on here would recommend getting your own gear if that VM combo' wasnt doing the business.  As it works for you, you should be fine when the Hub3 is back on.  If not just come back here and let us know.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike

My broadband package is for 350mgb and the old hub coped with that. 

As I have indicated before the Hub 4 was delivering 350 by ethernet, but only about 30 on wifi

As Manuel in Fawlty Towers said "I know nothing" 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Constant and high speed Wi-Fi is as rare as the proverbial rocking horse poo, in real life it doesn't exist.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, Human bodies, the list is endless.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos