cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 Ethernet speed

shearski
On our wavelength

Hi

Recently added an O2 contract and so was eligible for the Volt speed boost benefit from 600Mbs to Gig1.

I had a Hub 3 so have today recieved a Hub4 to cope with the speed increase.

The wifi speeds seem to be a bit of an increase compared with the 600Mbs on the Hub 3 but we have a number of devices connected by ethernet cable via powerline adapters. The speeds on these are only about 80-90 Mbs, which is lower than with the slower broadband on the Hub3.

I have double checked that the powerline plugs can cope - they are 600Mb, the cable is Cat6 so these shouldnt be a problem and havent changed since the Hub 3.

When i log into the router and click on connected devices it shows the Virgin Tv box is getting a speed of 1000Mbps, yet the 2 PCs connected are only getting 100Mbps. 

Can anyone suggest why the speed to these have decreased with the Hub4 or any settings that I need to change.

Many Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@shearski wrote:

They are Tp Link AV600

I appreciate that these will be slower than the speed coming to the hub but I am fairly sure we were getting faster speeds through the same setup with the Hub3 and 600M

If it's these they have 10/100 ethernet ports so you'd never see above 90 - 95Mbps regardless:

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/tl-wpa4220-kit/

Also explains the connection speed to the HUB.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

carl_pearce
Community elder

Which model are the powerline adapters?

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

90mb is really good for powerlines, especially slower models like you have.  The actual hub has no control on how quick your powerlines sync with eachother.

The only powerlines that I'm aware of that can get semi decent speeds are devolo magic 2, but reality you have to spend a good few hundred pounds on a wifi6 mesh system

They are Tp Link AV600

I appreciate that these will be slower than the speed coming to the hub but I am fairly sure we were getting faster speeds through the same setup with the Hub3 and 600M

@shearski wrote:

They are Tp Link AV600

If it's these they have 10/100 ethernet ports so you'd never see above 90 - 95Mbps regardless:

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/tl-wpa4220-kit/

Also explains the connection speed to the HUB.

Many Thanks - I had mistakenly assumed the AV600 was the speed that the PC would get.

I obviously misremembered our previous speed test results too.

Of to Amazon then.

@shearski wrote:

Many Thanks - I had mistakenly assumed the AV600 was the speed that the PC would get.

I obviously misremembered our previous speed test results too.

Of to Amazon then.

Please keep @jb66 's comment in mind. Powerline adapters aren't the best.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning Shearki, 

Thank you for coming back to us. 

Did you manage to get the adaptors mentioned above? If so, how are things looking since? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

shearski
On our wavelength

Hi

Thanks for checking back with me. With the new powerline adapters I seem to be getting speeds of 160 Mbs which is about double of the previous speeds.

I havent tried testing the speed in safe mode, which i know can improve speeds if there are programs limiting the speed

Thanks for letting us know about this shearski.

Would you be able to try the safe mode some time so we can see if this has any sort of impact on the speeds?

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules