cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 Cooling

Biffo1262
Dialled in

My new HUB4 seems to 'throttle' itself and only regular reboots, many a day, is the only thing that helped.  I noticed it was running very hot and the fan was always on despite it being on a hard window ledge withot any source of heat nearby.  I decided to try an external cooling fan and increasing the air space underneath.  The results were astounding.  Within seconds performance was restored and it now runs cool and stable.  The design is obviously flawed and the cooling fan far too small and ineffective.  I have made a cooling base from a 80x80 5v usb fan  and that is now going to be in use until Virginmedia get the problems sorted.  I suspect they will still ship these flawed routers and expect you to solve your own problems as I have done but that is so shonky!

12 REPLIES 12

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Biffo1262 wrote:

Oh yes it is a design fault.  I could quote the engineer verbatim but suffice it to say the issue has been raised and acknowledged.  The simple answer is a more vigorous fan as an extra external base fan works beautifully so there is no internal obstructions to the airflow.  The fan is simply not up to the job.

then quote the engineer - at the moment you are saying little to nothing other than what you say you have heard

i accept VM are unlikely to come on here and say there is a problem but there seems to be no mass of posts about over heating hub4's

for myself  i have one - its in a cool area and not enclosed in any way - i have not heard the fan run so its either totally silent or not needed where my hub is

Tony.
Sacked VIP

@Biffo1262 wrote:

This is the simplest solution  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5V-USB-Computer-Chassis-Cooling-Fan-Wireless-Router-Set-top-Box-Mute-Cool...

Have you asked for a replacement Hub or are you quite happy relying on an external fan ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

I’ve got hub 4 and had nothing but constant faults error CS9994 which means theirs a cable unplugged but it’s not it’s due to overheating  it’s now being replaced if the errors come back or that one overheats you know their mostly all bad I will update if any problems arise.