cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 Cooling

Biffo1262
Dialled in

My new HUB4 seems to 'throttle' itself and only regular reboots, many a day, is the only thing that helped.  I noticed it was running very hot and the fan was always on despite it being on a hard window ledge withot any source of heat nearby.  I decided to try an external cooling fan and increasing the air space underneath.  The results were astounding.  Within seconds performance was restored and it now runs cool and stable.  The design is obviously flawed and the cooling fan far too small and ineffective.  I have made a cooling base from a 80x80 5v usb fan  and that is now going to be in use until Virginmedia get the problems sorted.  I suspect they will still ship these flawed routers and expect you to solve your own problems as I have done but that is so shonky!

12 REPLIES 12

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

Best thing to do is contact VM and tell them that your Hub 4 is overheating and they will send you a replacement.

If that one overheats you could reasonably say that there is a trend but until then it is one Hub that has a problem and has quite possibly got a duff cooling fan inside.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As per your other post on a different thread, this was discussed previously, https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/HUB-4-issues/td-p/4095133

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Biffo1262,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community, I am sorry to hear your having issues with your Hub 4.0 overheating, I can assure you this isn't part of the design ands sounds like a fault, I have the same and don't have any issues at all, I have checked your account and cannot see any issues at all.

So I can help further I will send you an invite into a private chat, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.

Are you telling me I haven't reported it and my conversation with the Level 2 tech yesterday is fiction?  You'd better tell her that then as she found the issues yesterday and thought she'd fixed them.......she hadn't.  Does my account show the number of times I've had to reboot due to chronically slow speed?  No? Then you have the wrong account.  At present there are no issues as I fixed the issue myself.  You see, this is where Virgin fall down.  One minute oh yes sir I can see your problem and then 'oh I've checked your account and there is nothing wrong'.  So who is correct?  Thing is I know I am as I recorded the calls.

Hi Biffo1262,

Thanks for coming back to me, I am more than happy to do further check as advised, just because I cannot see any issues with your services this doesn't mean there isn't an issue with the hub, please click on the mail I sent and I can help further.

Regards

Paul.

That's the point.  I KNOW it's the hub.  What I don't know is if a replacement will be the same as others have also got this poor cooling issue and indeed have raised the ineffectuality of the fan.  This one is working fine now with additional fan cooling.  The OEM fan IS running, it's just ineffectual whereas the one I have supplemented it with is doing a pukka job.

Oh yes it is a design fault.  I could quote the engineer verbatim but suffice it to say the issue has been raised and acknowledged.  The simple answer is a more vigorous fan as an extra external base fan works beautifully so there is no internal obstructions to the airflow.  The fan is simply not up to the job.

Does the Hub 4 have a decent powered USB slot for the fan power ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.