cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 - 1gb - fast on wifi, slooooow on ethernet

simmo1999
Tuning in

Have had Hub 4 now for a few weeks, upgraded from 350mb to 1gb. But..... anything I have ethernet connected to the hub is so slow...... 150 - 200mb. With the exception of my Linksys Velop which shows speeds of 900mb when connected, but if I then connect by ethernet another device to that..... 150-200mb. Upload speed always on or about the 50mb max.

Here's what I've tried:

Hub 4 in router mode - 3 different PCs ethernet connected, same outcome - max Ive had was 298mb on any of them. All 1 year old or less devices.

Connect via wifi, even my phone gets 600+mb download.

Hub 4 in modem mode with Linksys Velop - 3 different PCs again ethernet connected to the Velop, get same - 150-200mb, max was just over 300mb

Wifi - same as before, more than double even triple the speed of the wired connection.

I had a Hub3 before, worked flawlessly, wired always close to the 350 mark, even slightly higher.

Got a Virgin engineer out, he replaced the Hub4, same issue, exactly the same issue in fact. He scratched his head a few times, said the Hubs are so new they are still learning about them and  "we don't do networking issues" and then he left....

So I'm starting to feel like this is some sort of firmware issue with the Hub4, cant think of anything else because I've tried it both modem and router modes, multiple devices, all my cables are Cat6 ethernet.... No powerline adapters involved in my setup etc....

But its so odd, the speedcheck in my Linksys app for the attached Velop router when the Hub4 is in Modem mode shows full speed.....

Any of you network savvy people seen anything like this before? Driving me nuts.....

11 REPLIES 11

Maybe a reinstall of windows is needed.

or try with the hub in modem mode with a PC only.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Concentrate on that PC that gives full speed in safe mode, but not in normal.  What's in the startup configuration that runs normally but not in safe mode?  I'd be deeply suspicious of any real time web protection service - that often routes huge amounts of data off to the service provider's servers in Timbuktoo and back again, so can be a real burden on speed.  If it isn't that, possibly the network card's driver is the issue - in safe mode Windows might be loading a default driver rather than the OEM one?