Menu
Highlighted
Madcow555
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 vivid 350 WiFi full speed but router ports not so

Hi

i recently got vivid 350 installed. Full new install from the street. On WiFi iPhone XS it gives 370 mbps down and 37 mbps up beside router. If you connect an Ethernet port to a laptop (gigabit port) with cat 5e or cat 7 cable it will not go above 189-200 mbps. 

Devolo Magic 2 home plugs which are speaking to each other at 800mbps also won’t deliver more than 180-200 mbps.  

Why is the Ethernet port not delivering 350 mbps when the router is obviously receiving 350 mbps or greater.  Ethernet cable is 1 meter. Is the router faulty  

any advice appreciated

kind regards

pete

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 vivid 350 WiFi full speed but router ports not so

Unplug the devolos and put the Hub into modem mode and then plug in the laptop directly to it with a new 5e/6 cable and see what that gives. If it is still low, try a different browser - one you dont normally use. If still low, reboot the laptop into safe+network mode and test again. See if that helps pin down where the issue is.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Madcow555
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Did this as you suggested  still the same with a PC and two diff laptops and with anti virus turned off and cat 5e , 6 and 7 cables . Thinking about cancelling if they don’t let me downgrade my plan of replace the box I’m not wasting more time on this already fine several hours. 

0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Is there anything you're actually doing that needs 350 Mbps on a single device?  Normally the reason for having a connection above 40 Mbps is so that the router can share that around amongst multiple devices, rather than because there's any single use that needs such high speeds.  The most demanding (real world) single use is usually streaming a 4K movie that uses about 25 Mbps, and the only common use of the full capacity of very high bandwidth connections is running a Speedtest.

Check if you get the full speed via ethernet with the Devolos unplugged.  Potentially they are being allocated bandwidth by the router even when you're not using them, although I'd admit that sounds odd.  If that guess is correct, then your 200 Mbps via ethernet laptop plus the 180 of the Devolos looks about right?

0 Kudos
Madcow555
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

This is not the point really. I am paying for 350. It is giving 350 on WiFi but my network uses the Ethernet mostly. It is not outputting 350 on eathernet  with just a cat 6 or 7 cable connected alone, it should easily output 350 on eathernet, since it is not it is limiting other parts of my network. That is on three different computers. In fact the leds on the computer Ethernet are orange even though there are gigabyte this indicates the router is not outputting gigabyte Ethernet. Therefore is the router faulty. If so it should be replaced. Whether I need more than 40mbps is irrevelant. I paid for a fast connection. 

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

With the Hub in modem mode and a PC 1gb ethernet connection you should see the full 350 speed. It does sound as if the Hub is faulty.

I take it you have tried different cables. 

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The Devolos are reporting the Theoretical LINK sped in one direction.

Actual speeds will be far less due to the half duplex nature of the adapters and noise on the electrical mains.
Techradar got speeds of 35MBps (280Mbps) one floor up with the cockpit showing a LINK speed of 1400Mbps for example, so the powerline speeds sound about right.

The powerline adapters are neither here or there, as you need to test with a gigabit enabled PC connected directly to the Hub as advised before.

It would be worth checking the Link speed in Windows network settings, and the PC's drivers are up to date and configured for auto negotiation. If the negotiated Link speed was not gigabit it would be 100Mbps, so you would not be able to achieve speeds of over 100Mbps.

The orange light on the PC does not indicate the Link is not gigabit at all, however, the Hub's LAN port lights being green does. (each vendor has their own scheme)

If you are not getting headline speeds then it does look like a faulty Hub as the Wireless is proving the internet connection if the speed is constant close to the router.

0 Kudos
Madcow555
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the comments

The speeds I reported were direct from the router nothing else attached in modem and non modem mode through 1m cables cat 5e 6 and 7. 

Will check the auto negotiable settings as you say but as the speed is 180-200 on the Devolo’s there unlikely to be fixed to 100 eathernet. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried different browsers? These are recent reports where a browser is slowing things down

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Slow-broadband/td-p/3960227

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Etherent-speed-slow/m-p/3912102#M202773

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Speed-Check-Only-get-maximum-80-instead-of-100/td-p/39522...

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.