Menu
ejazbutt
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 M350 connection - speed and connectivity problems

I have a Hub 3 on an M350 account. The router is set up so that 2.4ghz and 5ghz is already split. I have some devices (TV, Hive and Apple TV) wired via ethernet and rest of devices (Mac's, iPhones and tablets) connected via WiFi.

All devices are connected to 5ghz connection whereas devices such as CCTV is connected to 2.4ghz. 

The 5ghz and Apple TV connections are almost grinding to a halt. Nothing works. Light on the Hub is white.

I tested the 2.4ghz connection and my Mac runs fine on that. And just tested my iPhone and it worked fine on that too. Obviously I need to be on 5ghz. Any ideas why the Apple TV may be having problems wired? And what's wrong with the 5ghz ? How do I fix this please? Many thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 M350 connection - speed and connectivity problems

Try this see if it helps...

Log into Hubs settings and go to Advanced > Wireless > Wireless signal - disable "channel optimisation" and make sure on the 2.4GHz 20/40 is selected and on 5GHz that 20/40/80 is selected. Apply these changes.
See if that helps first.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
ejazbutt
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this. I need to perhaps reset my password on the router as its not letting me log in 😞

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Note that a pinhole reset on a Hub3 can be a bit problematic - so do it EXACTLY this way (not as the VM website says!).

Firstly, make sure the Hub's sticker/card with the two passwords on it is still there and legible or you will be stuffed !  If its not – DON’T DO IT !

With the Hub switched "on", disconnect any ethernet connections and then push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT restart the Hub after that.  Leave it 10' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card.  Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings/admin one to access the Hub (it is a six digit numeric one

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
ejazbutt
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John, much appreciated, I will attempt this today. Just to ask - I had done some port forwarding for my CCTV camera and also split the 2.4 and 5ghz - will I need to redo all of these things again? It will be challenging as I cant remember how I did the port forwarding! 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You can back up your settings by logging in to the Hub and going into the admin area.

The file is saved to your PC default Download folder. you can reload once the reset is done.

NOTE.

If your problems are caused by a setting inside the Hub you may end up re-installing that problem after the reset.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
ejazbutt
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike, I managed to remember my password much to my relief (saving that password somewhere now!)

I will back the settings - that is such a great idea.

Hi John - so I did the setting update as you mentioned and will see how that goes. I also noted that the Channel setting is set to automatic. Should this be manual and then to choose a permanent channel ?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I prefer to scan my wifi environment with a "scanning" App and use that info to select which channel to use on 2.4 (either 1,6,11). But see how it goes first

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
ejazbutt
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike

I cant find the option to export the settings as a file from the Hub. Can you point me in the right direction please for Hub 3? Many thanks

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You don't get any options for file name or location when you click the Backup button, it just saves to your default Download folder.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos