Menu
CarlTSpeak
Wise owl
Message 81 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Re: How soon can we upgrade to Gigabit/Gigabit speeds over DOCSIS 3.1? #Gigaworld #ProjectLightning

Yeah capacity available to an area per customer.

How does the service run? Mind posting something from speedtest.net?

0 Kudos
Charbax
On our wavelength
Message 82 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Re: How soon can we upgrade to Gigabit/Gigabit speeds over DOCSIS 3.1? #Gigaworld #ProjectLightning

@CarlTSpeak wrote:

Yeah capacity available to an area per customer.

How does the service run? Mind posting something from speedtest.net?

The upload speed is amazing, this is my speedtest right now http://www.speedtest.net/result/7919633709 and 2nd speedtest server http://www.speedtest.net/result/7919637227 and a 3rd http://www.speedtest.net/result/7919639727 and a 4th http://www.speedtest.net/result/7919641486 I don't know if me reaching such high upload speed right now is because I'm the only one using upload bandwidth in my neighborhood, perhaps I can't max out download speed right now it may be Sunday night 9:30pm peek hour probably some neighbors on BitTorrents or something at the moment.. I wish some day I can have Fiber to the Home and have a true multi-Gbit symmetric connection (1gbit/1gbit for 36gbp/month on hiper.dk (got acquired by TDC a few months ago) and the ISP gigabit.dk can deliver 5gbit/5gbit symmetrical to anyone who has Fiber to the Home in Denmark at just 60gbp/month, how crazy would that be. Fiber to the Home in Denmark only exists mostly outside of the capital Copenhagen, as TDC acquired the Fiber business of the main Copenhagen bound Fiber builder a few years ago and they stopped all Fiber to the Home build out in the capital focusing now only here with their DOCSIS 3.1 service. Which is super great thus far for sure. But eventually having Fiber to the Home would be probably the best especially once all the neighbors start using all this upload and download bandwidth all at the same time as new use cases like 4K video conferencing become popular perhaps within a couple years from now. By then perhaps I could hope some kind of DOCSIS 3.2 becomes available or perhaps they would then install more base stations closer to users to keep a certain "guaranteed" bandwidth per user, somehow.

0 Kudos
CarlTSpeak
Wise owl
Message 83 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Plenty of upload capacity for sure.

However you see a problem. A whole bunch of people would be on here moaning if they were only getting 660Mb out of the gigabit and Ofcom / Advertising Standards would end up involved. Before you know it there'd be people taking VM to arbitration and where there's blame there's a claim lawyers getting involved.

Probably going to see all of this anyway, a good part of it from people who've blagged discounts or free upgrades. Something to really look forward to. Smiley Frustrated

happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 84 of 297
Flag for a moderator

@CarlTSpeak wrote:

Plenty of upload capacity for sure.

However you see a problem. A whole bunch of people would be on here moaning if they were only getting 660Mb out of the gigabit and Ofcom / Advertising Standards would end up involved. Before you know it there'd be people taking VM to arbitration and where there's blame there's a claim lawyers getting involved.

Probably going to see all of this anyway, a good part of it from people who've blagged discounts or free upgrades. Something to really look forward to. Smiley Frustrated

How VERY dare you!!!

I would be on the doorstep with a banner if I ONLY got 659Mb!! Smiley Very HappySmiley SadSmiley Tongue

I am looking forward to whatever is coming (even though we have to wait to find out - unless we use tickle torture?) but seriously now they sorted the network out it will be exciting even if it's 50Mbps more - although secretly I am hoping for 500/50 but i'll take whatever I get!

I used to grumble - and whilst my usage has gone down when I do use it - as expected it's rock solid - If I spent a whole week looking at things I couldn't find anything to grumble about and it's been that way for over a year now -i've taken 2 price rises because I know it helps with the future investment and it's worth it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 85 of 297
Flag for a moderator

problem with 1gbps is the backbone that is used.
What would you want to see the contention from each connection at.
Lets set it at 1/1000.

that means if everyone maxed it out you'd see 1mbps.
Deeper in the network you would need 1gbps connetion for everyone 1000 users.
If a town has 10,000 users you would need a 10gbps connection into the town. That is doable.

How if you wanted everyone to have 100mbps every everyone is maxing it out that is a contetion of 1:10.
Now we are looking at 10,000 people needing 100Gbps into the down.

now head back in the network a bit more.
The headend now takes the feed for 100 towns. That now needs a backbone connetion to the rest of the internet of 10Tbps.

1gbps connections are fine on a small scle. But widely used there is not the backbone to support that.

Look at the speed of the Submarine cables that connect countries. https://www.submarinecablemap.com/#/
How would they handle everyone on gigabit speeds.

Its going to require alot more work to make that happen

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 86 of 297
Flag for a moderator

That's fair and thanks for the explanation - I do wonder who else is using their connection at the same time as me - can't be that many 350 users in an area? Or maybe there is and it's like you said with high bankbones etc

I had no idea a cable came in at Brean - I am there for NYE - shall I get in my trunks and snorkel and go and try to find it? 😛

0 Kudos
CarlTSpeak
Wise owl
Message 87 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Not really.

Usage doesn't rise anywhere near peak speeds. 

Most usage is video, most video on the larger providers' networks is served on-net from CDNs

The higher the demand the closer you push the CDNs to customers. In the case of VM and me my content can be served from caches in a few VM datacentres.

They can serve me from Knowsley then pull it closer by serving from Manchester, then Leeds Seacroft and finally Leeds South, in the same site as the CMTS.

There is an ongoing project to move more of the network's intelligence out into the field. In time this would allow Leeds South hubsite to be closed and an optical bypass to the much larger Seacroft to be built where there's room for CDN nodes. 

So not a major worry for right now. This ignoring the ongoing developments in optical network efficiency - these networks used to be stuck at BPSK, they can now run up to 64QAM with 256QAM on the way over the same fibre.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 88 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Using connection and maxing connection out are two separate things.

’Most’ people on the higher tiers it’s just a vanity project and will barely touch 10% of the bandwidth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
CarlTSpeak
Wise owl
Message 89 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Regarding submarine cables and the like in nations where gigabit is ubiquitous and, indeed,  10G to homes is a thing people accept that they aren't going to get the same speeds internationally they do locally, much as we don't.

Within Western and Northern Europe we are fine but outside of that performance degradation happens and will be even more evident as speeds rise.

As far as ISPs' own backbones go there are a number of ways of managing load in addition to CDNs. VM have substantially increased the number of exit points on their network. Used to be almost entirely in London, traffic can now move to other networks all over the country.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 90 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Peering points are still limited to a few. and they are limited on the speed.

I'm not saying things are not getting better what i am saying is people thinking that beacuse a ISP can give them 1gbps doesn;t mean you will see it everywhere.

Many servers are still only on 100mbps or 1gbps.

0 Kudos