Menu
jhuk
Super solver
Message 11 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Re: How soon can we upgrade to Gigabit/Gigabit speeds over DOCSIS 3.1? #Gigaworld #ProjectLightning

"640K ought to be enough for anybody"  Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 12 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Re: How soon can we upgrade to Gigabit/Gigabit speeds over DOCSIS 3.1? #Gigaworld #ProjectLightning

"640K ought to be enough for anybody"

That's as maybe, but I reckon my use (2 adults, 2 teenagers, 4 mobiles, 2 tablets, 2 laptops, 2 desktops, 1 chromecast) has a bandwidth sweetspot of 150 Mbps where there's no complaints.  What galls me is not the ultimate speed of VM (I'm on Turgid 200 with Garbagehub 3, so could go wider), but the poor technical quality offered for the high price - specifically latency, poor VOIP, patchy streaming.  VM clearly don't care and won't communicate, the firmware patch isn't going to really fix much, and even when DOCSIS 3.1 arrives I won't be buying an outrageously priced half-gig plus plan just to get a Hub 4. 

Roll on G.fast (ideally from Zen Internet).

0 Kudos
jhuk
Super solver
Message 13 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Do you not understand sarcasm? 

I was getting at the other user as always when someone says anything about faster speeds and they ask what it is needed for.

May as well be on SD 480p and 56k in that case or even living in caves.

Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 14 of 297
Flag for a moderator

"Do you not understand sarcasm? "

Hey, cool off man!  I think and hope we're on the same side.

Of course I understand what your post meant, I started working in IT in the days of of the 8086.  I was just trying to put some perspective on what bandwidth is needed for my use in this day and age.

0 Kudos
sonydan2k10
Up to speed
Message 15 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Right people do you understand that the hub 3 will eventually be upgraded to docsis 3.1 till virgin media implement this update we area stuck with speed's under a gig and i would believe that virgin are properly upgrading there network ready to enable these speed's with upload's this has been a issue for virgin since Euro bell/NTL owned the network 40% of the network i bet still has the old wiring what's was laid in the early 90's.

And i would expect virgin media to take a year or 2 with out upgrading speed's nor releasing new product to optimise the network to better handle the capacity of the 4 million and beyond.

Ipv6 implementation 

Docsis 3.1 implementation 

gigabytes speed's 

all these need to be invested in and then studied and put to the board then if agreed put to trial then to the public these take's time and virgin might be taking there time to get all this right as it is a big upgraded to the network on the virgin.liberty global network.

0 Kudos
Dagger2
Superfast
Message 16 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Okay, I appreciate this is somewhat of a tangent for the topic of this thread, but...

speed's
speed's with upload's
upgrading speed's
gigabytes speed's
take's

...please try not to make this mistake. It looks absolutely horrible. Apostrophes aren't for plurals, and you also don't use them just to indicate that the current word ends in an 's'.

CarlTSpeak
Wise owl
Message 17 of 297
Flag for a moderator

The fun I could have with this thread.

At the moment there are no firm timescales for DOCSIS 3.1 release in the UK. 

There have been plans for months and months to upgrade upload speeds, however Liberty Global bods haven't bothered to implement 3-4 upstream bonding yet, not to mention that upstream congestion has started to become 'an issue' again as VM have been on a mission to minimise investment in the network so have been deploying more downstream channels rather than splitting nodes to increase bandwidth available in both directions. Even new build areas they have economised on capacity to avoid wasting any.

I would not look to VM to upgrade speeds aggressively. I am on a business service paying over 70 notes a month and get 200/20 for it. After ending up on Watchdog due to extreme congestion issues and more recently changes to how speeds are advertised VM have been far more preoccupied with improving performance on existing tiers.

In some networks there isn't any bandwidth available for DOCSIS 3.1. VM are trying to get everyone off the old set top boxes in order to switch digital TV from MP2 to MP4 and make some room.

The idea you're going to get a gigabit symmetrical on VM outside of the areas on FTTP any time soon, if ever, is a fantasy. It would require optical nodes to between every maybe 30-100, max, properties. The new build HFC areas, fresh network, are being built to 500 premises passed per node, then combined together to reduce bandwidth costs.

Vodafone haven't even started building their gigabit network.

Openreach / BT serve relatively few premises and their gigabit service is priced squarely in business service territory, not residential.

Until there is a competitive driver Liberty Global have made abundantly clear that the closest we'll get to a gigabit is the dial on the Gigaworld video.

sonydan2k10
Up to speed
Message 18 of 297
Flag for a moderator

So do you think coming in these forums with that attitude is going to get you listened to lmao well at least we are letting virgin now that there is interest in gigabyte speed's your the sort of people who make thing's more difficult business line 200 down and 20 up come on u don't need to be on a business line to achieve higher speed's we will see what happens this year.

Now i no why i stayed away from these forum's people who think they now what there going on about when in fact they don't seriously annoy's people.

0 Kudos
sonydan2k10
Up to speed
Message 19 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Attitude who need's it
0 Kudos
CarlTSpeak
Wise owl
Message 20 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Attitude? What on earth are you talking about and why are you being so rude? All I did was inform the forum what's going on?

VM's parent company are trialing DOCSIS 3.1 in Germany and Poland this year, probably until the end of the year. They will make decisions on when they are releasing then but they are not in a hurry.

http://www.broadbandworldnews.com/author.asp?section_id=472&doc_id=740713 

I am sorry if this doesn't fit your view of how things should be.