Menu
happywithmy350
Fibre optic
Message 181 of 209
Flag for a moderator

Re: How soon can we upgrade to Gigabit/Gigabit speeds over DOCSIS 3.1? #Gigaworld #ProjectLightning

It's probably part of this trial in which case they won't be able to - but if they do fair play - but I am sceptical.
0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Superfast
Message 182 of 209
Flag for a moderator

Re: How soon can we upgrade to Gigabit/Gigabit speeds over DOCSIS 3.1? #Gigaworld #ProjectLightning

I'd have assumed if he was in the trial he wouldn't be able to tell us the speedtest either though.
0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Fibre optic
Message 183 of 209
Flag for a moderator

Mmmmm Cheese!

Sorry yes you are right, but shouldn't be naughty and tell us anything then should he! ::stubborn emoji:::
0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Fibre optic
Message 184 of 209
Flag for a moderator

are we getting near to this "movement" yet? Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
Ignition
Wise owl
Message 185 of 209
Flag for a moderator

Beats me.

Have done my own movement bringing an alternate supplier in to augment as my area breaches capacity thresholds for release of Voom 500 so even when it is released it wouldn't be on my segment. 

Did you not purchase the DIA you said you were ordering? 

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Fibre optic
Message 186 of 209
Flag for a moderator

Still waiting for the survey! - They can't do anything until April 2nd so I keep being told. I am not sure if I should just get a 500 line instead. Although the 300/300 was what I wanted and had assigned some of the budget to. £504 a month is not a lot for what you get - and I know others talk of 1Gbps but that would be too much for us - say we can get 30MB/sec upload that would be more than enough. I am just assuming that VM business does not over provision like res does? If they do then that's even better.

But long term yes 300/300 is what I want to get - a FTTC line will do the office CCTV and stuff - this VM line is purely for CDM

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 187 of 209
Flag for a moderator

I’d assume business over provision too for the same reason. Residential is only over provisioned so the overheads don’t knock the achieved speed under the headline speed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

happywithmy350
Fibre optic
Message 188 of 209
Flag for a moderator

If that' so then that's great - I am not sure why i am bothered - they deliver 300/300 then I am sure it will be spot on.
0 Kudos
louis-m
Dialled in
Message 189 of 209
Flag for a moderator

I don't think you will ever see VM offer a 300/300 anytime soon. There's simply not a business case for it.

In years to come, possibly..... but at the moment to get that, you will need their DIA or another suppliers fibre ethernet circuit at a far higher cost than the residential/semi residential connections on here.

0 Kudos
Ignition
Wise owl
Message 190 of 209
Flag for a moderator

Business cable modem overprovisions. Not aware of DIA doing the same - no SamKnows/Ofcom testing on them.

The overprovisioning on cable modem used to be to ensure customers could hit full speeds after overheads but is much higher now so that customers in good areas can offset the minority in overloaded ones. 

0 Kudos