Menu
happywithmy350
Fibre optic
Message 91 of 209
Flag for a moderator

Re: How soon can we upgrade to Gigabit/Gigabit speeds over DOCSIS 3.1? #Gigaworld #ProjectLightning

Ignition what are the biz speeds like out of office hours? I wanted to go to Biz to get higher but I understand it's throttled (understandable) but by what percentage please?

If I wanted to kick back and watch a 4K movie after work - could I do this? It's one reason why I stay on res as I am not sure and don't know anyone with a biz service to ask! ( the website is vague and the advisors more so) 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Timwilky
Up to speed
Message 92 of 209
Flag for a moderator

Re: How soon can we upgrade to Gigabit/Gigabit speeds over DOCSIS 3.1? #Gigaworld #ProjectLightning

@Shafreya wrote:

Using connection and maxing connection out are two separate things.

’Most’ people on the higher tiers it’s just a vanity project and will barely touch 10% of the bandwidth.

But this vanity user is desperate for more than the pathetic 20Mb upload. I had a quick check this morning and have 39 devices currently registered on the home network. My cloud storage really struggles.

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Fibre optic
Message 93 of 209
Flag for a moderator

I have to upload overnight to Google Drive - currently on a 39GB zip file - Although we are lucky with the fact Cable still allows full download speed when upload is maxed - something FTTC couldn't do
Roger_Gooner
Problem sorter
Message 94 of 209
Flag for a moderator

I am on VIVID350 as I want the upload speed for my Acronis cloud backups. I'd be happier on 250/25 but VM doesn't do 10% upload speeds.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Fibre optic
Message 95 of 209
Flag for a moderator

Well something is happening in the next 3 months - so wait and see Smiley Happy

Ignition
Wise owl
Message 96 of 209
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:
Peering points are still limited to a few. and they are limited on the speed.

Peering points are scaling okay. ISPs exchange traffic in way more places than just via public peering exchanges. Transit and private peering carry the overwhelming majority of VM's traffic.

0 Kudos
Ignition
Wise owl
Message 97 of 209
Flag for a moderator

@happywithmy350 wrote:

Ignition what are the biz speeds like out of office hours? I wanted to go to Biz to get higher but I understand it's throttled (understandable) but by what percentage please?

If I wanted to kick back and watch a 4K movie after work - could I do this? It's one reason why I stay on res as I am not sure and don't know anyone with a biz service to ask! ( the website is vague and the advisors more so) 

Thanks

Nothing is throttled on either business or residential. I receive, other than the support and option for multiple IPs, the exact same service as someone on Vivid 350. For now. 

Ignition
Wise owl
Message 98 of 209
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:
problem with 1gbps is the backbone that is used.
What would you want to see the contention from each connection at.
Lets set it at 1/1000.

that means if everyone maxed it out you'd see 1mbps.
Deeper in the network you would need 1gbps connetion for everyone 1000 users.
If a town has 10,000 users you would need a 10gbps connection into the town. That is doable.

How if you wanted everyone to have 100mbps every everyone is maxing it out that is a contetion of 1:10.
Now we are looking at 10,000 people needing 100Gbps into the down.

now head back in the network a bit more.
The headend now takes the feed for 100 towns. That now needs a backbone connetion to the rest of the internet of 10Tbps.

1gbps connections are fine on a small scle. But widely used there is not the backbone to support that.

Look at the speed of the Submarine cables that connect countries. https://www.submarinecablemap.com/#/
How would they handle everyone on gigabit speeds.

Its going to require alot more work to make that happen

I'm going to come back to this somewhat.

You simply don't have that many towns going into a single headend. You have aggregated together a million people into a single site which makes no sense. Ask VM - they have 'headends' using your language at very least at these locations, this isn't an exhaustive list:

Haringay
Guildford
Birmingham
Leeds
Baguley
Cosham
Gateshead
Preston
Aztec West (Bristol)
Perry Barr (Birmingham)
Manchester
Swansea
Nottingham
Wolverhampton
Poplar
Uddingston
Northampton
Cambridge
Bromley
Aztec West
Brentford
Watford
Hersham
Brighton
Leeds Seacroft
Ashford
Peterborough
Hayes
Renfrew
Luton
Southampton
Exeter
Oxford
Huddersfield
Basildon
Croydon
Bradford
Leicester
Winnersh
Cardiff
Middlesborough
Edinburgh
Belfast

So this is how you avoid needing 10Tb from a single location - you split your customers across many locations with multiple exit points. Each of these sites connects to at least 2 distinct sites on the Virgin Media backbone. 

Exit points.. VM have dedicated interconnect routers at, at least, the following locations within the UK, there are other exit points that don't have dedicated routers too but use interfaces on other kit:

Manchester
Telecity 5
Telehouse West
Slough
Telecity 3
Poplar
Telecity Manchester
Telecity London
Brentford
Telehouse East
Telehouse North
Leeds

CDNS..

Poplar, Northampton, Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, Basildon, Gateshead, Brentford, Luton, Wolverhampton, Hayes, Haringay, I've zero doubt there are way, way more but those are just the ones that came to mind immediately.

Loads of stuff I'm missing, this is just what VM UK have serving about 5 million customers, or 5 of your headends of 100 towns of 10,000 customers, that's evident to a random outsider.

Anyway this is how you manage ultrafast, you segment your network and have many paths out to many third parties, offloading as much traffic as possible to local caching and the rest as efficiently as possible via traffic management. Carrier-class ISPs don't just ram all their customers down a few links and hope for the best Smiley Happy

Superuser
Superuser
Message 99 of 209
Flag for a moderator

Woo Exeter!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Ignition
Wise owl
Message 100 of 209
Flag for a moderator

@Shafreya wrote:

Woo Exeter!

Indeed. Here are the two newer ones:

Name: exe2-core-2a.network.virginmedia.net

Address: 194.145.148.78

Name: exe2-core-2b.network.virginmedia.net

Address: 194.145.148.79

1a and 1b are old school but are still active. No idea if they still do stuff, likely had the old DOCSIS 1 CMTS connected to them.

0 Kudos