Menu
happywithmy350
Rising star
Message 51 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Re: How soon can we upgrade to Gigabit/Gigabit speeds over DOCSIS 3.1? #Gigaworld #ProjectLightning

@CarlTSpeak wrote:

Resurrecting in the hope I won't be on the receiving end of a semi-literate rant over my 'attitude' as by posting I'm single-handedly destroying the business case for higher speeds.

Most areas now bond 32 channels down and 4 up. In most areas DOCSIS 1.0 and MP2 are gone and indeed this made space for the extra 8 SC-QAMs.

Going forward the bonding of a 96MHz OFDM carrier and 32 SC-QAMs downstream along with 6 * 6.4MHz SC-QAMs upstream is the target.

The required CPE shouldn't be far away now. Liberty are testing at a gig downstream, 50Mb upstream. That's actually the product they've released in Bochum.

Sadly I don't know any 'chief engineers' but can confirm much of the content in the post dated ‎28-02-2018 07:27 is nonsense.

The Superhub 3 cannot be upgraded to support DOCSIS 3.1.

Most of the ex-Euro Bell stuff had to be upgraded for 5Mb upload to be offered on it, it was pap, and that network was Telewest, not ntl.

The wiring is irrelevant, it's the bits in between the wires that need upgrading, and that has been ongoing for years.

The core network has an ongoing upgrade programme, release of 3.1 is not delayed by it.

IPv6 has been on the network ready to go for months and is being deployed.

The 3.1 project will be a new product using new equipment in the home and uptake of it will initially be low as it'll probably be expensive.

VM could release 3.1 to some areas literally next week if they wanted to.

Cheers for the info - As interesting as ever Smiley Happy

I would pay for more speed and this 1000/50 you speak of - however my area is still locked at 24 downstream and 4 up - it runs flawlessly so I am not complaining - but sounds like we are still waiting to be done. 

Cheers for the resurrection/update and I do see your point regarding BT - They could have gone ahead but they even failed to do that. It's about time VM just obliterated them and took the crown once and for all.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 52 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Re: How soon can we upgrade to Gigabit/Gigabit speeds over DOCSIS 3.1? #Gigaworld #ProjectLightning

@happywithmy350 wrote:

@CarlTSpeak wrote:

Resurrecting in the hope I won't be on the receiving end of a semi-literate rant over my 'attitude' as by posting I'm single-handedly destroying the business case for higher speeds.

Most areas now bond 32 channels down and 4 up. In most areas DOCSIS 1.0 and MP2 are gone and indeed this made space for the extra 8 SC-QAMs.

Going forward the bonding of a 96MHz OFDM carrier and 32 SC-QAMs downstream along with 6 * 6.4MHz SC-QAMs upstream is the target.

The required CPE shouldn't be far away now. Liberty are testing at a gig downstream, 50Mb upstream. That's actually the product they've released in Bochum.

Sadly I don't know any 'chief engineers' but can confirm much of the content in the post dated ‎28-02-2018 07:27 is nonsense.

The Superhub 3 cannot be upgraded to support DOCSIS 3.1.

Most of the ex-Euro Bell stuff had to be upgraded for 5Mb upload to be offered on it, it was pap, and that network was Telewest, not ntl.

The wiring is irrelevant, it's the bits in between the wires that need upgrading, and that has been ongoing for years.

The core network has an ongoing upgrade programme, release of 3.1 is not delayed by it.

IPv6 has been on the network ready to go for months and is being deployed.

The 3.1 project will be a new product using new equipment in the home and uptake of it will initially be low as it'll probably be expensive.

VM could release 3.1 to some areas literally next week if they wanted to.

Cheers for the info - As interesting as ever Smiley Happy

I would pay for more speed and this 1000/50 you speak of - however my area is still locked at 24 downstream and 4 up - it runs flawlessly so I am not complaining - but sounds like we are still waiting to be done. 

Cheers for the resurrection/update and I do see your point regarding BT - They could have gone ahead but they even failed to do that. It's about time VM just obliterated them and took the crown once and for all.

The crown will always be the price. Neither company has a use for the higher speeds for the vast bulk of their customers. They just will never use them. So price will settle the debate. Heck if VM set their 50Mbs package to be cheaper and education for the masses happened they could win it off that.

The actual top headline speeds are irrelevant in the real world.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
cje85
Problem sorter
Message 53 of 297
Flag for a moderator

@happywithmy350 wrote:

The Hub 3 only supports 24 downstreams so that's the most you'll see even if your area has 32 downstreams.

The extra channels are there to provide extra capacity/load balancing, eg. some  users in an area may be on channels 1-24 and others on 8-32.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Wise owl
Message 54 of 297
Flag for a moderator

@happywithmy350 wrote:

There's a reason why VM has not delivered, say, 500mbps down and 50mbps up: it's because BT has always been way behind. Even G.fast is not the solution as best speeds are only available for the small minority lucky enough to be close to the pods. Of course the situation will change as full fibre is rolled out, but this will take years. Personally, I know that I will never have full fibre as VM isn't going to overbuild HFC, but I'd snatch 250/25 in an instant if offered as I need upload speeds for my cloud backups.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
CarlTSpeak
Wise owl
Message 55 of 297
Flag for a moderator

By the time the HFC needs to be replaced with FTTP VM won't be VM.

Saying that, VM look like they are in a holding pattern with the mothership waiting for Vodafone or someone else to swoop. Disposals have started and no reason to think the mothership will stop there.

CarlTSpeak
Wise owl
Message 56 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Incidentally 32 downstream channels may actually end up at 36.

New build areas are likely to get the goodies first. If in an existing area that isn't FTTP don't expect gigabit speeds for about a year. Earlier a bonus. 

Higher speeds than present, in both directions, both doable without it, and on the way Smiley Happy 

0 Kudos
CarlTSpeak
Wise owl
Message 57 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Anyway that's the topic of the thread answered. Solution provided / kudos welcome. Toodles.

Charbax
On our wavelength
Message 58 of 297
Flag for a moderator

I now got 1000mbit/s down, 500mbit/s up, in my Copenhagen flat. On same copper as Virgin Media. Thank you Scandinavia. Thank you DOCSIS 3.1. Thank you Huawei. To be priced at £65/month from January 1st 2019. (another cheaper ISP is at £35/month but they can only upload at 100mbit/s right now, of course upload is the most important, I go for 500mbit/s upload speed using the "historic" "national" backbone ISP). I wonder if these speeds could also be soon available on Virgin Media in the UK, on Comcast in the USA. Just get onto DOCSIS 3.1 with your copper network. Use Huawei ISP Telco infrastructure!

YouSee1000mb.jpg

roughbeast
Up to speed
Message 59 of 297
Flag for a moderator

@CarlTSpeak wrote:

By the time the HFC needs to be replaced with FTTP VM won't be VM.

Saying that, VM look like they are in a holding pattern with the mothership waiting for Vodafone or someone else to swoop. Disposals have started and no reason to think the mothership will stop there.

As in Coventry, where Vodaphone has recently started building their new network offering  a symmetrical 1Gb to residential customers when the first tranche is ready.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/superfast-broadband-coventry-15412821

Services: 500Mb / 35Mb, TV V6 box X2, Phone XL Talk unlimited and mobile x4 Routers = SHub 3 in modem only mode with Asus RT-AC88U
0 Kudos
CarlTSpeak
Wise owl
Message 60 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Vodafone have network ready for service in Milton Keynes and Aberdeen. They have confirmed plans to build in Peterborough, Edinburgh, Coventry, Sterling, Huddersfield, Cambridge, Leeds and Southend-on-Sea.

Either way VM have zero plans to replace HFC with FTTP anywhere, and their parent and Vodafone are probably going to continue discussions. Vodafone's joint venture with Cityfibre isn't related.

As the previous poster mentioned 500Mb upstream is doable over standard HFC and normal DOCSIS 3.1. The hardware is there and ready to go.

0 Kudos