Menu
On our wavelength
Message 271 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Re: How soon can we upgrade to Gigabit/Gigabit speeds over DOCSIS 3.1? #Gigaworld #ProjectLightning

@CarlTSpeak wrote:

Anyway - EuroDOCSIS 1/1.1/2 covered return path of 5-65 MHz. DOCSIS 3, whether US or Euro variety, requires that the modem support either 5-42 MHz edge to edge upstream band or 5-85 MHz. The lower band is to allow support for legacy cable systems where the forward / downstream path starts at 50 MHz, this was this way to accommodate analogue TV and out of band communication. It starts at 108 MHz on other systems.

I'll try and keep this short and to the point but will fail.

SNIP SNIP

I've a document detailing how another operator went full 3.1 including the high-split 204 MHz return path. Interesting stuff.

I am sure that went over a lot of heads there, but to me fascinating stuff.

I didn't believe for one second that we would get DOCSIS 3.1 symmetrical, and you have confirmed my thoughts from gleaning information from German websites where they have a headstart on us.

Perfect post

0 Kudos
CarlTSpeak
Wise owl
Message 272 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Re: How soon can we upgrade to Gigabit/Gigabit speeds over DOCSIS 3.1? #Gigaworld #ProjectLightning

Symmetrical actually leaves you with no filter between upstream and downstream at all. Both are running at the same time on the same frequencies with some rather clever cancellation technologies being used to separate them.

Fibre has to go to almost every cabinet, no amplifier aside from the launch amplifier that lives alongside the fibre optic node. The nodes all need replacing which much smarter equipment (Distributed CCAP) which needs power so existing power supplies might be inadequate. Every amplifier is either replaced with a new optical node or removed if not necessary.

This is a long way away. Even going to the 500Mb upstream seen in Denmark is unlikely.

I would say with 95% certainty that VM's 'gigabit cities' will have upstream speed of 50-60Mb at most.

crazydan7
Tuning in
Message 273 of 297
Flag for a moderator

well it seems vm are revising pricing as of today, needed to ring them about something, no options on the phone system for leaving, moving house or billing you just go to gineric customer service 

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Rising star
Message 274 of 297
Flag for a moderator

They are? where's the link to this please? Just interested for others who are not so savvy to search for things (like my dull neighbour)
0 Kudos
crazydan7
Tuning in
Message 275 of 297
Flag for a moderator

i was mistaken, it turns out virgin now force you to go through to the off shaw call centre now to get anything done and they then direct your call to the rellivant department. personally i think this is a bad idea but there we go. the only people you can get through to directly now are customer services and tech support. I did ask the person i spoke to when i got transfered to the rite department after twenty minutes, they checked with their manager and this is now virgins new policy

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Rising star
Message 276 of 297
Flag for a moderator

ah I see - maybe they are moving retentions over there too - they seem to love shutting down call centres in the UK
0 Kudos
Highlighted
brenster100
Tuning in
Message 277 of 297
Flag for a moderator

The upload has been boosted to 38Mbps on VIVID 350 just restart modem to get the updated config
0 Kudos
brenster100
Tuning in
Message 278 of 297
Flag for a moderator

last time I checked 100gb of google drive is £15 a year very cheap or like £25 for 200gb
and most people won't be buying the 1000/1000 or even the 500/500 most pople just but the low or mid tier so they don't get much profit by digging up all the lines to lay FTTH.

In fact in the places where hyperoptic are avilable must people arent on the 1000/1000 and are just on the 150/150 I would say the sweet spot would be 300/300 and then they can scale the download up for the the top tier packages.
0 Kudos
brenster100
Tuning in
Message 279 of 297
Flag for a moderator

I could host my game servers at home, I can run plex for my whole family, have ione of my server act as a cloud for my family (the game servers use about 350Mbps upload at peak time stick 1/2 plex streams at 20Mbps there is 400Mbps)
0 Kudos
CarlTSpeak
Wise owl
Message 280 of 297
Flag for a moderator

@brenster100 wrote:
I could host my game servers at home, I can run plex for my whole family, have ione of my server act as a cloud for my family (the game servers use about 350Mbps upload at peak time stick 1/2 plex streams at 20Mbps there is 400Mbps)

VM really don't want people doing that - no ISP does.

0 Kudos