Menu
CarlTSpeak
Community elder
Message 201 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Re: How soon can we upgrade to Gigabit/Gigabit speeds over DOCSIS 3.1? #Gigaworld #ProjectLightning

@mpitts wrote:

And do Virgin offer the option to bond multiple connections? Or is that only possible through third party aggregators?

I should make clear what I'm doing above looks like a single connection, not load balancing. The various underlay tunnels terminate in el cloud.

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 202 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Re: How soon can we upgrade to Gigabit/Gigabit speeds over DOCSIS 3.1? #Gigaworld #ProjectLightning

Last month of the quarter coming up? 🙂
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 203 of 297
Flag for a moderator

@happywithmy350 wrote:
Last month of the quarter coming up? 🙂

I for one am not holding my breath.

My contract is up in 2 months, and Vodafone are building FTTP in my town, best to jog on at 350+ for the wait.

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 204 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Then you are a lucky person - I can't get it so..
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 205 of 297
Flag for a moderator

@happywithmy350 wrote:
Then you are a lucky person - I can't get it so..

Not trying to rub any salt in a wound at all.

When ADSL came along I had 8/1Mbps (greater than 10:1 download to upload)

Later it was FTTC and I was close to exchange and got full line rate of 80/20 (even better at 4:1 ratio) that I was used to

Then I moved home and the only choice was FTTC @25/8 or Virgin Media with 50/100/200/300 (at the time)  It was a no brainer.

The upload speeds are headline grabbing, but the upload is lagging behind.

I started on 100/6 package, and got a free upgrade (didn't push or call up for) to 200/12

Later as my upload needs increased, I changed to the 350/20 package (which sits at 17.5:1, way off 10:1)

All this talk of 500/35 (or whatever upload they settle on) is still useless to some.  While it will be welcomed any increase in upload speed, I think that they are milking the cash cow as much as they dare.  If this or the other thread about upload speed came alight with loads of posts beating the drum about poor upload speeds then maybe the fat cat execs might have to listen up to the demands.  Other Liberty Global Countries already enjoy better speeds than we get, and given the push to finally fibre up the UK (better late than never) they will have to finally open the taps.

If you can recall I did the other Summer for a few months get speeds of 775/6, the downloads were insanely fast, but they would peak and trough due to overloading the upload path (the 6Mbps was running full tilt and was choking out the downloads)

Today running at 370/20 the upload is no longer throttling and I can download at 45MBs all day long if needed.

VM if you are reading this, start rolling out some better upload speeds, and ideally at least 10:1 ratio and maybe people won't be leaving (though they do for many other factors I know)

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 206 of 297
Flag for a moderator

They used to have 10:1 I think - can't remember. but unless there is a need for them to do so they won't - they were, from what I understand ready to flick the switch on 500 ages ago but BT slowed down g.fast so they didn't bother.

Ignition is best placed to say for sure what's going on - he's the expert.
On our wavelength
Message 207 of 297
Flag for a moderator

@happywithmy350 wrote:
They used to have 10:1 I think - can't remember. but unless there is a need for them to do so they won't - they were, from what I understand ready to flick the switch on 500 ages ago but BT slowed down g.fast so they didn't bother.

Ignition is best placed to say for sure what's going on - he's the expert.

Yes lack of competition slowed them down, and with BT topping out at I think 330Mbs for the FTTP product they are sitting comfortably.

Until FTTP starts to ramp up, Virgin won't bother.  I hope that where you live they do rollout some, or an Alt-net comes to your place.

Yes hopefully Ignition will come back with some more details soon, the dogs are salivating.

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 208 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Well we know there is a speed lift happening shortly, by that I mean before end of Q1 which I assume is start of April. The rumour is 500/35 but we will see
0 Kudos
Highlighted
CarlTSpeak
Community elder
Message 209 of 297
Flag for a moderator

I have nothing to add and am unlikely to receive any advanced notice of when Voom 500 or Vivid 500 are being released.

I had a month for Vivid 500 given to me however I'm not sure where that is now and, perhaps more importantly, have made very clear that I don't care.

Business needs were pressing and I had already done what I could to buy time. The real world doesn't wait while providers twiddle thumbs. 

On our wavelength
Message 210 of 297
Flag for a moderator

@CarlTSpeak wrote:

I have nothing to add and am unlikely to receive any advanced notice of when Voom 500 or Vivid 500 are being released.

I had a month for Vivid 500 given to me however I'm not sure where that is now and, perhaps more importantly, have made very clear that I don't care.

Business needs were pressing and I had already done what I could to buy time. The real world doesn't wait while providers twiddle thumbs. 

Ignition, if I could press Kudos 10 times I would have.

It would be nice if your comments made it higher up the food chain, and someone in the upper echelons of management paid attention.

I need higher upload yesterday, but being a home user I cannot justify the business cost.  I don't mind if I get a 900Mbs package from Vodafone and natural contention kicks in, my NAS can do it's tasks in the early hours and not during peak times.

0 Kudos