Menu
CarlTSpeak
Community elder
Message 61 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Re: How soon can we upgrade to Gigabit/Gigabit speeds over DOCSIS 3.1? #Gigaworld #ProjectLightning

@Charbax wrote:

I wonder if these speeds could also be soon available on Virgin Media in the UK

Smiley LOL

0 Kudos
roughbeast
Up to speed
Message 62 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Re: How soon can we upgrade to Gigabit/Gigabit speeds over DOCSIS 3.1? #Gigaworld #ProjectLightning

@CarlTSpeak wrote:

Vodafone have network ready for service in Milton Keynes and Aberdeen. They have confirmed plans to build in Peterborough, Edinburgh, Coventry, Sterling, Huddersfield, Cambridge, Leeds and Southend-on-Sea.

Either way VM have zero plans to replace HFC with FTTP anywhere, and their parent and Vodafone are probably going to continue discussions. Vodafone's joint venture with Cityfibre isn't related.

As the previous poster mentioned 500Mb upstream is doable over standard HFC and normal DOCSIS 3.1. The hardware is there and ready to go.

Does that mean, therefore, that those parts of target cities that already have HFC will also get FTTP from Vodaphone, not just those areas served only by BT Openreach FTTC?  In parts of Coventry,  VM has recently laid a FTTP network. (10,000 households) I guess these are the sort of area Vodaphone and VM will be having discussions about. There is no point duplicating such work, or is there?

Services: 500Mb / 35Mb, TV V6 box X2, Phone XL Talk unlimited and mobile x4 Routers = SHub 3 in modem only mode with Asus RT-AC88U
0 Kudos
CarlTSpeak
Community elder
Message 63 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Vodafone are overbuilding VM. 

0 Kudos
CarlTSpeak
Community elder
Message 64 of 297
Flag for a moderator

As an aside I read US forums where a fair few people 'lust' after European broadband. I suspect they won't be so interested in our cable broadband. In the US dealing with the three largest:

Cox Communications: 9.1 million homes passed, 90%+ gigabit availability

Charter Spectrum: ~50 million homes passed, 80%+ gigabit availability

Comcast: 58 million homes passed, almost 100% gigabit availability

Virgin Media: 15.2+ million homes passed, zero gigabit availability

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Super solver
Message 65 of 297
Flag for a moderator

@CarlTSpeak wrote:

As an aside I read US forums where a fair few people 'lust' after European broadband. I suspect they won't be so interested in our cable broadband. In the US dealing with the three largest:

I guess until VM get some serious competition, they won't bother with gigabit.  They just want to stay a little bit ahead of BT

0 Kudos
Highlighted
TyneBridges
Tuning in
Message 66 of 297
Flag for a moderator

I think I'm right in saying that most users rely predominantly on wireless. As it seems to be almost impossible to achieve anything like Gigabit speeds with current wireless technology, only a tiny percentage - even of us who are interested - could benefit.

CarlTSpeak
Community elder
Message 67 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Doesn't seem to be a major problem elsewhere. If people are prepared to put down the cash for hyperfast they likely have some cabled kit: games consoles, gaming PCs, servers, whatever. 

I've Cat 6 in conduit between the three floors of the property. My home office is running off 2 x GbE port channeled and can move to 10G with switch replacement. The server next to me is, naturally, cabled, and if required I can place new access points on the floors but don't need to at this time.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 68 of 297
Flag for a moderator

@CarlTSpeak wrote:

could have gigabytes speeds but would need a business account, and pay a small fortune.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
CarlTSpeak
Community elder
Message 69 of 297
Flag for a moderator

I suspect the price of a gigabit DIA would surprise you. 

We each get less than 5Mb. I pay £72 a month for the same service as Vivid 350.

0 Kudos
CarlTSpeak
Community elder
Message 70 of 297
Flag for a moderator

Hope everyone is well and having a fantastic holiday season.

Keep an eye on the news, etc, over calendar Q1 of 2019. Should be interesting for the more bandwidth obsessed among us Smiley Wink