Menu
Charbax
On our wavelength
Message 41 of 272
Flag for a moderator

Re: How soon can we upgrade to Gigabit/Gigabit speeds over DOCSIS 3.1? #Gigaworld #ProjectLightning

Meanwhile in Denmark people can get 1000mbit/s download and 60mbit/s upload for £38 per month or 1000mbit/s download and 500mbit/s upload for £90 per month on COAX over DOCSIS 3.1, just seems to be exactly the same network used by Virgin Media. Just that of course Denmark's population is 5.7 million people while the UK has a population of 65 million people. So not quite the same "investment" to upgrade every COAX customer to 1000mbit/s download and 500mbit/s upload speed. Just feels like VM's Usain Bolt advertising is misleading and in fact the UK is by far not the fastest in the world.

Highlighted
Roger_Gooner
Trouble shooter
Message 42 of 272
Flag for a moderator

Re: How soon can we upgrade to Gigabit/Gigabit speeds over DOCSIS 3.1? #Gigaworld #ProjectLightning

All I'm asking of VM is to give me upload which is 10% of download. The existing DOCSIS 3.0 should easily provide a highly competitive 500mbps down and 50mbps up if there are four upstream channels. 

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
ToffeeSurprise
Up to speed
Message 43 of 272
Flag for a moderator

I've checked the specs on my cable and it looks like the conductor is copper-clad steel, but it's pedantic either way. Replace with "metal" if you really care.

In any case to say it won't need replacing by fibre is just plain wrong. The speed of fibre is more or less limited by the electronics at either end, and can be easily upgraded with new line cards/equipment. You can't do that with metal cables because you can't just shove down more frequencies, as evidenced with the disaster that is g.fast, as you end up with huge attenuation, cross talk, etc. Fibre is the only future proof solution, even if DOCSIS 3.1 can in theory go up to 10Gbps which is enough for the forseeable future. To continue to invest in a poorer technology that isn't future proof is bizarre, rather than fibre all the way to the CPE using Ethernet presentation.

Even on HFC, Virgin Media spend a bunch of time troubleshooting power levels which you simply won't get with PON, which is why Openreach are actually planning to get rid of all their copper and have given up on g.fast due to the impracticalities. And I know for a fact Openreach spend huge amounts of manpower testing lines that are within spec because a customer doesn't like the speeds they get.

0 Kudos
Charbax
On our wavelength
Message 44 of 272
Flag for a moderator

I think also Denmark has had 300mbit/s download with 60mbit/s upload speed available over COAX with I think DOCSIS 3.0 for over 4 years now. That 20mbit/s upload limit on Virgin Media is a real shame. The Usain Bolt advertising is misleading, BT/Sky etc basically have nearly the same 20mbit/s upload speed as VM.

Roger_Gooner
Trouble shooter
Message 45 of 272
Flag for a moderator

Yes, the Usain Bolt advertising is all about download speeds, no mention of uploads or latency.

--
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Trouble shooter
Message 46 of 272
Flag for a moderator

@ToffeeSurprise wrote:

I've checked the specs on my cable and it looks like the conductor is copper-clad steel, but it's pedantic either way. Replace with "metal" if you really care.

In any case to say it won't need replacing by fibre is just plain wrong. The speed of fibre is more or less limited by the electronics at either end, and can be easily upgraded with new line cards/equipment. You can't do that with metal cables because you can't just shove down more frequencies, as evidenced with the disaster that is g.fast, as you end up with huge attenuation, cross talk, etc. Fibre is the only future proof solution, even if DOCSIS 3.1 can in theory go up to 10Gbps which is enough for the forseeable future. To continue to invest in a poorer technology that isn't future proof is bizarre, rather than fibre all the way to the CPE using Ethernet presentation.

Even on HFC, Virgin Media spend a bunch of time troubleshooting power levels which you simply won't get with PON, which is why Openreach are actually planning to get rid of all their copper and have given up on g.fast due to the impracticalities. And I know for a fact Openreach spend huge amounts of manpower testing lines that are within spec because a customer doesn't like the speeds they get.

My local HFC network works perfectly well. And should it get congested, VM has the option of segmenting it. The additional optical node(s) would result in fibre being driven deeper into the access network and shortening the coaxial cabling, bringing amongst other things a better signal and obviating the need to maintain some powered RF amps. This is a lot more cost effective than ripping out what's there and replacing it with fibre.

--
0 Kudos
Ignition
Wise owl
Message 47 of 272
Flag for a moderator

I see Comhem Sweden just released DOCSIS 3.1.

600Mb-1.2Gb/s downstream, 50Mb-100Mb/s upstream.

Not too shabby for an HFC network.

https://www.comhem.se/bredband/bredband-1200

Ignition
Wise owl
Message 48 of 272
Flag for a moderator

RichieKnight
Dialled in
Message 49 of 272
Flag for a moderator

https://www.hyperoptic.com/

1Gbps symetrical in the UK if you're lucky enough to live in a serviced building for £49 pcm for 12 months! They have big plans for the future!

0 Kudos
Neil2080
On our wavelength
Message 50 of 272
Flag for a moderator

Just need to speak with a uk customer services person to stop all the lies and bull. At least then you will get a truthful expected date for a fix. Mine was fixed on the expected date once I spoke to a uk rep!! 

0 Kudos