cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you know if you're in a FTTP area?

Keezza
On our wavelength

Hi,

New customer here. waiting for activation on my installation date. How do you know if you're in a FTTP area? 

Virgin 'Cable My Street' came almost 7-8 years ago....

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you are in an HFC area the termination boxes will be standard omni-boxes

In fibre areas, the fibre terminates at the front wall to coax inside with a powered unit, hence the box on the wall is considerably bigger.

Left HFC. Right RFoG.Left HFC. Right RFoG.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

FTTP is an openreach term (bt, ee, sky etc)

Virgin use their own proprietary cable to send the data to our homes, and I'm pretty sure it aint fibre due to the poor upload speed they provide.

Almost all eligible postcodes can't get upto 500mb and most again can make use of their gig1.

To be perfectly honest, everyone can make do with 50mb any faster is just spiel 

Keezza
On our wavelength

Cool but from my understanding Virgin have types of install 1 of which brings the fibre to the premises and then coax to the router 

@Keezza wrote:

Cool but from my understanding Virgin have types of install 1 of which brings the fibre to the premises and then coax to the router 

VM don't provide that information unfortunately.

It doesnt matter if you are on virgins version of FTTP or the HFC coax network, performence is the same on both, ie, poor.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you are in an HFC area the termination boxes will be standard omni-boxes

In fibre areas, the fibre terminates at the front wall to coax inside with a powered unit, hence the box on the wall is considerably bigger.

Left HFC. Right RFoG.Left HFC. Right RFoG.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks