cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I boost my speed?

Liquid_Len
Tuning in

Hi all,

I am, apparantly, on 100mb internet connection. However, my speed regularly drops to below acceptable. Is there any way of guaranteeing a stable connection?? Or is the only option to leave Virgin. Oh, I do not want to keep rebooting my router. If this is the only answer, can Virgin not do this automatically when I am asleep?

Liquid_Len_0-1678560164021.png

Thanks,

Len

22 REPLIES 22

Format reinstall your laptop
---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Carl,

It's a HP Notebook, i5, 16gb Ram, 2gb SSD.

Thanks,

Len

Hi Legacy1,

Sorry if I misunderstood your post, but are you suggesting I reformat all of the laptops in the household, including consoles & streaming devices just to get a broadband speed that I pay for? Isn't that a bit extreme? What if it doesn't work?

Thanks,

Len

I get the impression this Hub 3 may be placed in a different room to all their WiFi kit perhaps even at some distance.

Could it be the poor WiFi speed is down to the limited WiFi signal strength within the property ?

So how is the speed by wire?

Hi Client 62,

I live in a bungalow and I have placed the Hub in the hallway (almost centre) of the property. I am at max 4 meters away from the hub at any one time, yet still get poor performance. There must be a simple solution to my issues. 

Thanks,

Len

Hi Legacy1,

Does that even matter? How many customers actually connect there devices via cat5 or cat6?

Thanks,

Len

It matters yes your hub is connected by wire for you to get a connection so its what VM expects when you test your connection VM didn't just lay miles of cable only for you to say "my wifi sucks".

Hi Legacy1,

I have already posted the figures.

But if the majority of the connections are via wifi, surely VM are better off stating wifi speeds? Reminds me of the Volkswagen emissions scandal....

Wouldn't it be nice if internet providers just gave a figure for wifi, rather than plugged into the router (which 99% of the population do not do)

Thanks,

Len

I think 99% is a bit high but what ever your smoking I want in!