cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I boost my speed?

Liquid_Len
Tuning in

Hi all,

I am, apparantly, on 100mb internet connection. However, my speed regularly drops to below acceptable. Is there any way of guaranteeing a stable connection?? Or is the only option to leave Virgin. Oh, I do not want to keep rebooting my router. If this is the only answer, can Virgin not do this automatically when I am asleep?

Liquid_Len_0-1678560164021.png

Thanks,

Len

22 REPLIES 22

Client62
Legend

That does look low.

Use the link below to speed test the VM service to the Hub.   Once the test starts click on : Run full test  so you see all the stats.

In this test, the speed at the Hub should reflect your service rate.

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Thank you for the link, here are the results.

Liquid_Len_0-1678602175959.png

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Looks like VM are providing the 100Mb to your router, and the issue is with your device.

Are you testing over a cable or wifi.  Note VM only guarantee wifi speeds of 20 Mb.https://www.virginmedia.com/help/wifi-max

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Adduxi,

Thank you for your reply. So, if I am reading you correctly, I am better of finding a supplier who can provide me with 20mb over wifi for as cheap as possible. It's been years since I ran my internet over LAN & I don't really fancy having a hard wired hub in every room (with everyone trailling cables around) just to get the speed I thought I was going to get.

It's off to USwitch to see who is cheap as chips! Thank you for your help all those that responded.

Len

@Liquid_Len wrote:

Hi Adduxi,

Thank you for your reply. So, if I am reading you correctly, I am better of finding a supplier who can provide me with 20mb over wifi for as cheap as possible. It's been years since I ran my internet over LAN & I don't really fancy having a hard wired hub in every room (with everyone trailling cables around) just to get the speed I thought I was going to get.

It's off to USwitch to see who is cheap as chips! Thank you for your help all those that responded.

Len

What device are you using?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

And what Hub model is it?

Have you tried splitting the SSID into one for 5GHz and one for 2.4GHz and connecting just on the faster 5GHz frequency?

See this re wifi

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/wifi-max

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi Carl,

Do you mean the device to connect to the router? I you do, itis a laptop.

Thanks,

Len

Hi jbrennand.

It's a HUB 3.0. I did have the wifi split into 2.4 and 5.0 ghz  (to add wifi bulbs), but when I ran the Virgin Connect app it said that I would have better performance if I joined them back as one, a task that it performed automatically for me.

Thanks,

Len

@Liquid_Len wrote:

Hi Carl,

Do you mean the device to connect to the router? I you do, itis a laptop.

Thanks,

Len

What make and model?