cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrific Packet Loss

robputt
On our wavelength

Hello,

Not sure what is going on but there seem to be major issues today with my connection. Is anyone else experiencing these issues... Location is in Devon.

Approx 80% packet loss since 8pm last night. Checked Virgin status page for my postcode, said TV was experiencing an incident but no issue with broadband. Tried to run a line test via the troubleshooting tool which responded that it was not possible to run a line test at this time. 

Tried rebooting hub (running in modem mode with Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro serving as router) when it came back up the problems persisted.

Here is the last 24 hour snapshot graph from the BQM.

032a4de49a1c0b6821272d045715c9b16fb90102-20-03-2023

Not sure if a moderator can poke someone to look into this, tried calling customer support earlier but had to give up after 35 mins in the queue as I had to join a meeting at work.

Best Regards,

Rob

My Broadband Ping - Rob's VM Connection
6 REPLIES 6

Client62
Hero

Check for a known local fault on 0800 561 0061 - it is an automated service

robputt
On our wavelength

Telephone service reports that there are no broadband issues affecting service in our area.

Best Regards,

Rob

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

O my I think something is wrong with your connection😜 the T# counters must be doing a number and go back to 0 there are problems with your line    

---------------------------------------------------------------

robputt
On our wavelength

Just got off the phone to Virgin, the poor lady in the call centre was lovely but totally useless. Clearly had no technical background and had a script to follow. She tried to run some diagnostics but had no luck... She then told me to take the router out of modem mode and connect directly with an ethernet cable. Not a problem exactly as it removes my internal nonsense from the equation. Of course it still didn't work, we then got lucky whilst on the phone call with a period of lower packet loss, about 60% rather than 80% and she managed to perform a speed test reaching a massive 1.6mbps and declared the line working and told me to monitor the situation for 24 hours and call back if it doesn't improve. Anyway, the council are digging up next door to the Virgin cabinet so I am wondering if they have hit something or if water ingress has occurred at the cabinet / cabling underneath the cabinet. Interestingly the problems manifested last night during rain and have persisted ever since. Just some theories... Anyway to encourage Virgin to get an engineer out and assess the situation?

Best Regards,

Rob

robputt
On our wavelength

Hello,

Engineer now booked for 7am till 12pm Wednesday. Hopefully it doesn't magic itself fixed before then else I guess I am down £25. Packet loss is continuing and I am now using LTE for connectivity.

Best Regards,

Rob

robputt
On our wavelength

Engineer has visited, apparently a known issue with the Hub 4 following firmware update. Swapped for Hub 5 and now everything seems to be sweet.