Menu
tritoch
Joining in
Message 11 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Horrible Speed. Should be getting 350Mb/s

I think I'll probably just order a reel of Cat6 and upgrade it all myself. I've got the crimping tool and the connectors and boots lying around somewhere.

As for different browsers, I assume he means there is a software limitation or something in place (which is incredibly unlikely that it would specifically be targeting my speedtest results), but I see the suggestion... Anyway, tested with edge for your sake and same result.

As for the RJ45 cables, they are old... very old... so maybe an upgrade will resolve the issue...

Just miffed that no one on VM's phone-based tech support has been able to offer any such solution so far.

Thanks very much. Will upgrade the RJ45 cables and report back.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 12 of 16
Flag for a moderator

with respect to CS - i would never go as far as calling them tech support thats an oxymoron - their knowledge is minimal - they have a script which 99% will not go off - the most technical thing they know is do a reboot - i have no issue with them in that respect they are doing what they are told to - where it all goes wrong is when they continue to spout bulls droppings and/or make it up as they go on

it might be the height of ignorance but dropping the call when the have not a clue is less harmful 

Tony
0 Kudos
Hoogle
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 16
Flag for a moderator

restart your computer in safe mode with networking and then do a speed test to rule out software glitches on your computer.

start > restart (whilst holding shift)> Trouble shooting > advanced startup options select safe mode with networking

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 14 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@-tony- wrote:

what you have posted is fine - there more than that so it be worth posting all the result

i take issue with a couple of bits of advice above

Cat5e is not as good on a Hub3 - no idea where that myth has come from - its rubbish imo

and trying different browsers - again not sure where thats come from - all heresay i think - not based on firm truth

As @-tony-  says, it might be worth posting all of the downstream figures as your screen shots only show the first page of the figures.  Ctrl+A to select all then copy and paste usually works best.

Personally I have had no speed issues with Cat5e and the Hub 3.

In the past I have experienced very different speedtest.net results with different browsers, it showed much lower speeds with Chrome vs Firefox, so now I stick with the DSLReports speed test and Chrome and so far it has always been accurate.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
tritoch
Joining in
Message 15 of 16
Flag for a moderator

So have since bought Cat 6 Cable.

I've also tried this now on 2 different windows machines and 2 mac laptops... Getting consistently crap speeds across everything which removes user equipment as the issue.

Now, I had a look at the superhub3 page and I found this:

According to what I've been reading online, this is most likely something to do with a signal fault and will need an engineer to come out to the property to assess and fix?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 16 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for that information.

I'm sorry to see this is still ongoing. What I will do is private message you to look into this.

^Martin

0 Kudos