Menu
tritoch
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Horrible Speed. Should be getting 350Mb/s

So this has been an annoying and ongoing problem.

It's been more than 6 months now. I am not getting what I am paying for. Whenever I call up they tell me there's a fault with too many customers in the area and they are logging my complaint and if there are enough complaints something will be done about it. Disgusting... I am not getting what I am paying for... It's as simple as that.

Tried to login to my virgin media. To get the password reset you need to answer a security question. Apparently I'm answering that incorrectly. Then to get passed that you need to enter your last bill details... well guess what, I'm looking at the damn bill and it's still telling me to enter valid details...

What the hell is this?

Speedtest?

Getting fed up of this... Can someone get to the bottom of why my internet is being throttled?

I have a SuperHub 3.0 in modem mode, connected to my Netgear R7000...

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Horrible Speed. Should be getting 350Mb/s

Is that a test over wifi or on an ethernet cabled device ? What device are you using?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
tritoch
Joining in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

So this test is over LAN (Ethernet).

Win 10 PC. Specs needed? more than happy to list if so. It's a decent PC.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

80ish is typical of a 10/100 network card rather than gigabit or the card set to 10/100 in device manager - could also be a bad lan cable - faulty - badly seated or cat5 - needs cat5e minimum

so check those and post some levels

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labeled - upstream - downstream

if its an earlier hub button is top right

Tony
tritoch
Joining in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hiya.

Ethernet is running through my ASUS Maximus Extreme VIII onboard ethernet which is a gigabit ethernet port.

Thanks. should have come here sooner tbh. You guys are way more helpful than the standard, turn it on and off again and if it doesn't work we have no clue, approach.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

click on the downstream and upstream buttons in the link above and post the results from there - just because you have a gigabit card you need to check in settings it is set to gigabit - if it is then look at lan cables - check the one between the hub and the router - unplug each end and re connect them - do the same with the one between the router and your pc

if you are still getting 80 change the lan cables for different ones - making sure any you add are cat5e or better

Tony
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

As Tony has said - try a new Cat6 cable as well. Use a new Cat6 ethernet cable (old ones do "go off" and Cat5e is not as good on a Hub3) to connect it directly to the Hub - which you have put into modem mode (to ensure only your device is connected). Check speeds like that first - if they are still low - then, boot up your device into "safe mode with networking" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds). Run the tests at speedtest.net (try on x2 VM servers) on 2 different browsers one of which is a fresh download of one you haven’t previously used (e.g. Firefox, Opera, Safari etc - there are several reports on here of certain browsers causing speed issues).
See if that increases the speeds.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
tritoch
Joining in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

what you have posted is fine - there more than that so it be worth posting all the result

i take issue with a couple of bits of advice above

Cat5e is not as good on a Hub3 - no idea where that myth has come from - its rubbish imo

and trying different browsers - again not sure where thats come from - all heresay i think - not based on firm truth

Tony
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@-tony- wrote:

Cat5e is not as good on a Hub3 - no idea where that myth has come from - its rubbish imo

Just citing Kippies experimental data...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/ethernet-connection-floating-between-20-and...

@-tony- wrote:

and trying different browsers - again not sure where thats come from - all heresay i think - not based on firm truth

Several recent examples on here..

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Slow-broadband/td-p/3960227

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Etherent-speed-slow/m-p/3912102#M202773

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Speed-Check-Only-get-maximum-80-instead-of-100/td-p/39522...

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos