Menu
veerasak
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

High ping

I get high ping usually at night making it impossible to play online games i called and just talked to the broadband team today but the guy said 'nothing is wrong on our end' and also said that he just checked and found out that the high ping im getting is from the game's server and hung up which doesn't make sense because i not only get high ping in the game but also when i ping websites and check online. Really don't know whats going on and no point calling back because apparently nothing is wrong.Untitled.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: High ping

Do a trace route and post that up. It will show which part of the journey is slowing it down.

Dave

Dave

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
0 Kudos
veerasak
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi veerasak, 

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to see you have been having trouble with Ping. 

I have take a look and things seem to be ok from this side. 

The trace route doesn't seem to show anything untoward with the connection. 

Please try the following to see if it makes a difference: 

• Pop the hub into Modem only mode with the computer in safe mode with networking and let us know if it makes a difference. 
  • Try on separate devices.
  • Check Ethernet cable. Make sure it is new / up to date. (Cat 5e or above).

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
veerasak
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

i've put the the hub into modem mode and checking the ping on my laptop and mobile while putting it right next to the router but still have high ping on all the devices including my pc
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi veersak,

Thank you for trying that though I'm not seeing a new IP address assigned from here, which should happen when modem mode is enabled. I wonder if it worked correctly for you? If not it might be worth another try Smiley Happy

Having said that, I have completed some diagnostics from here. Pings from the default gateway are fine, no packet loss and no high ping times. Pinging your modem from the default gateway though showed a different story: 

1000 packets transmitted, 957 packets received
round-trip min/avg/max = 0/9/150 ms

I can see that you have already been notified about a fault that might result in reduced speeds at peak times, and that could explain higher ping times during those hours. However, my checks show that Internet usage at those times has dropped and is currently reporting as very low. 

Would you do me a favour please:

• Either enable modem mode on your Hub or disable Wifi.
  • Hard-wire a single pc/laptop directly to the Hub.
  • Run another ping test & traceroute.
  • Post the output on here.

Do the above earlier in the day, not during the evening.

I'll then cross reference with our data and see where we can go from there.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
veerasak
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

32.png

This was in modem mode

https://ibb.co/fYYEVH

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello veerasak

I am sorry but I am unable to view the link posted due to fire wall restrictions. Thank you for trying modem only mode. The trouble with using ping to check on things is the router or destination server do not have to respond in a timely manner if at all so the only thing you can really prove I suppose is when things are working okay, your trace route above demonstrates just that, the final hop has responded in good time 21mS 21mS 26mS and thus indicating the preceding routers are handling live traffic appropriately. Continually pinging Google doesn't really prove much as the delay could be anywhere and or the host doesn't have to respond in a timely manner. 

Area performance is good and traffic low, hub and line stats in spec with no errors, all in all looking good. Perhaps when you have trouble to a particular destination try a traceroute to or from it, there is often advice on the game host's website on how to accomplish these things.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos