Menu
rick9999
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

High ping within virgin media network- Fault or not?

Having lived in Sweden I have been quite spoiled with great internet. For example, one supplier will be shipping out a 10000 mbit/s connection for just about 50p/month shortly.

I have also lived in Australia where the internet is pretty poor. On my 4G connection in Australia I could still ping for about 25-35 in games like counter-strike when the servers were in Sydney or Melbourne and I was in Brisbane.

So why is it that I'm pinging about 25 on average to London servers when I'm living in London? I'm on a 200/12 mbit connection and a technician has just recently adjusted the power levels for the signals so everything should be fine.

I asked a friend of mine on a 250mbit connection in the middle of Sweden to ping the same London servers. His results are below with a ping of 31.

Mine are reported as 26. 

Next I'm listing his location. I'm pinging to the same London server and I'm located in London. What strikes me most is the fact that I'm pinging a whole 20+ ping within the Virgin media network servers. This is clearly affecting the total ping to any IP addresses in the world. How is this possible when the location is so close and within the VM network? I should be getting a 10 ms max, if even that. 

I'm also listing my thinkbroadband ping history. Notice that the packetloss included on the graph is due to a power failure caused by a faulty heat pump, not the connection itself. I'm also reacting a bit to the fluctuations in max ping. What's going on there?

And I'm getting the full 200mbit connection as displayed by speedtest. The only thing I'm reacting to here is the ping yet again. 12 ms to a very close server. For a fiber connection, coax or not, I would expect this to be 2-5 ms tops based on a previous 10 years "experience". 

Would love to hear everyone's opinion and experience on this. Is this the standard that I should be expecting? If so, no wonder the UK don't have competitive E-sports teams. It all begins online before LAN events. 

Ping matters a lot for gaming. 

Thanks

jespertracert.pngricktracert.pnglocswe.pngthinkb.pngspeedt.png

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: High ping within virgin media network- Fault or not?

@rick9999wrote:

Would love to hear everyone's opinion and experience on this. Is this the standard that I should be expecting? Thanks

Yes. Yes it is.

cje85
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Those pings look completely normal for VM. I've never seen pings between 2-5ms on a coax or FTTC connection, only full fibre like Hyperoptic and Gigaclear. 

0 Kudos
rick9999
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Does that mean that all of the other suppliers (non hyperoptic and gigaclear) ping at 20-30 within a 10 mile radius as well? Are there barely any fiber optical cables dug in the UK or London?

Because it seems silly that people from Sweden will ping London servers at about the same ping as someone actually living in London. Its almost as if I Usain Bolt could outrun the signal within the VM network.

Heck, If I lay down a 1 mile long cat6 cable to the VM hubs in the UK I'd get a much faster response than I'm currently getting. So what is slowing down the signal so much is what I'm wondering.

Is someone pouring syrup into the VM network?
0 Kudos
arronlowley
Up to speed
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

latency on cable sucks, i had virgin and it was shoddy, i was paying for 300/20 and every night after 5pm i would get 80. the superhub 3 had chipset issues and probably still does. my ping always fluctuated.

im on sky now, latency on average to servers in london is 10-13ms and im in leeds.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/6c7f9a9f20c4b3cac9edc401f62167c3.html
0 Kudos
Highlighted
arronlowley
Up to speed
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

this is on sky bearing in mind im using powerline adapters in extension sockets, on wireless closer to the router il likely get 10ms.

fccfc1512c0f1a062632cf013d599b0d

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/6c7f9a9f20c4b3cac9edc401f62167c3.html
0 Kudos
rick9999
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks,

Is Sky using coax cables as well?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No. No they dont.