cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High ping jitter and packet loss

Foyablanca
Tuning in

Hi. We had a new 200mb connection installed a few weeks ago with a hub 3. Until a few days ago it was fine but we have been experiencing ping times of up to 888ms and download speeds varying from 100mb to 220mb. Jitter is between 4 and 6 ms with packet loss of 0.2 to 1 percent in Speedtest via iPad. It’s the same or worse vua a connected laptop with cable direct into the hub.

Support had us reset the hub and it improved a tiny but but they said they have noted stability issues and will work on it over the next week.  They also said that if the download speed is normally more than 107mb but no lower that’s within acceptable limits….wow.  Really?

ping to 8.8.8.8 via the hub test ping facility is up to 30000 ms.  Packet loss is 64 percent or so. The support people said they do not support this facility on the hub so they have no idea what it means!  Wow…really? The trace route shows loss of packets and mega slow speed in the hop into the virgin dns server ips…. Again the support people won’t comment on it…..

all this adds up to streaming slow downs, break ups, slow browsing …like a minute to load a YouTube page etc…

Does anyone think this is something they are working on…..it feels like we have been fobbed off a bit….and now I am told to wait for a week to see if it gets resolved…if not call back to support who only say a Speedtest of over 107 mb is normal.

any advice is appreciated, thank you

24 REPLIES 24

Hi. Reboot and ping test is this

PING 1.1.1.1 (1.1.1.1): 64 data bytes
72 bytes from 1.1.1.1: seq=0 ttl=59 time=20.000 ms
72 bytes from 1.1.1.1: seq=1 ttl=59 time=10.000 ms
--- 1.1.1.1 ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 2 packets received, 33% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 10.000/15.000/20.000 ms

So,  can I ask if anyone has been to the cabinet…you must have records you can check … I hope!   As I was told by the engineer this was an internal virgin network issue and the cabinet was introducing noise and the issue is not my cable or modem …. Not sure what else to do other than ascertain if that cabinet has been looked at. I can give you the engineers name and ID if you need it

I can see there are some notes on your account requesting for a fault ticket to be raised regarding a low upstream SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio).

Nothing has currently been raised, so I will keep an eye on the account over the next couple of days and will follow up with you.

Thank you for your patience. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi.  I was messaged by Rob P that this was being escalated last Monday. I have tried messaging him and no reply….anyone got any ideas what is next?   Thank you

Hi Foyablanca,

Apologies that you have not had an update from Rob as yet. We will get this chased for you today, unfortunately it can sometimes take a while for the area field managers to get back to us as they are not office based.

We will come back to us as soon as possible and find out why this issue keeps re-occurring. I have taken a quick look for you this afternoon, and everything is showing as all ok from here. We definitely need an update to see if the cabinet has been checked for you.

I will email Rob and we will get this looked in too.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Just did a ping test from the hub….

PING BBC.co.uk (151.101.0.81): 64 data bytes
72 bytes from 151.101.0.81: seq=0 ttl=59 time=20.000 ms
72 bytes from 151.101.0.81: seq=1 ttl=59 time=10.000 ms
--- BBC.co.uk ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 2 packets received, 33% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 10.000/15.000/20.000 ms

33 percent packet loss now ..and a speed test from Saturday I sent to Rob…..fyiE45FDAD9-7FDD-455D-8E44-F9FB009440E2.png