cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High ping jitter and packet loss

Foyablanca
Tuning in

Hi. We had a new 200mb connection installed a few weeks ago with a hub 3. Until a few days ago it was fine but we have been experiencing ping times of up to 888ms and download speeds varying from 100mb to 220mb. Jitter is between 4 and 6 ms with packet loss of 0.2 to 1 percent in Speedtest via iPad. It’s the same or worse vua a connected laptop with cable direct into the hub.

Support had us reset the hub and it improved a tiny but but they said they have noted stability issues and will work on it over the next week.  They also said that if the download speed is normally more than 107mb but no lower that’s within acceptable limits….wow.  Really?

ping to 8.8.8.8 via the hub test ping facility is up to 30000 ms.  Packet loss is 64 percent or so. The support people said they do not support this facility on the hub so they have no idea what it means!  Wow…really? The trace route shows loss of packets and mega slow speed in the hop into the virgin dns server ips…. Again the support people won’t comment on it…..

all this adds up to streaming slow downs, break ups, slow browsing …like a minute to load a YouTube page etc…

Does anyone think this is something they are working on…..it feels like we have been fobbed off a bit….and now I am told to wait for a week to see if it gets resolved…if not call back to support who only say a Speedtest of over 107 mb is normal.

any advice is appreciated, thank you

24 REPLIES 24

Traceroute….

1 ******* (********) 10.000 ms 10.000 ms 10.000 ms
2 cdif-core-2a-xe-7019-0.network.virginmedia.net (62.255.255.77) 10.000 ms 10.000 ms 40.000 ms
3 * * *
4 * * *
5 * * *
6 tele-ic-7-ae2-0.network.virginmedia.net (62.253.175.34) 20.000 ms 20.000 ms 10.000 ms
7 2-14-250-212.static.virginm.net (212.250.14.2) 10.000 ms 20.000 ms 20.000 ms
8 one.one.one.one (1.1.1.1) 10.000 ms 20.000 ms 10.000 ms
Trace complete.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/a6d24f18ff541154ba740f8cb7c5ea49c05e837e-04-07-2021]

BQM looks ok.

Powerlevels look ok.

Upstream looks bad.

Looks like a network issue as there is nothing obviously wrong.

If you wait here virgin will be along and hopefully they have some info on your upstream problems.

Did you do a reset yet?

It's basically the only think left that you can do from your end.

Hello Foyablanca,

Sorry to hear of the broadband issues experienced, we appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of this via the forums.

From looking at the connection, as risc19 has advised there appears to be an SNR issue with the upstream channels. I'm going to send you a private message to get some more details from you to arrange for a tech to come take a look.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Rob

Thanks for confirming the details Foyablanca, I have arranged for a technician visit to come and take a look into this for you. You can find the details of the visit here 

If there are any issues with the date and time of the appointment, or if there are any individuals shielding in the property please let me know and i can look to get this changed. Please be aware that this was the earliest appointment available so any changes may delay the visit.

Rob

The appointment is fine. All confirmed.  Thank you for your help.

Hi.  The engineer came out but he says I have identified a virgin network issue at the cabinet. They need to replace something there to address the packet loss and noise. He said it would hopefully be sorted in 48hrs. Also this will be affecting all users connected to the cabinet….so fingers crossed they fix it first time at the cabinet.

will update you when it is sorted…..thanks guys

Thank you so much @Foyablanca for letting us know and I am so sorry that this is requiring a larger fix. 

Please do let us know how things are looking and should you require further assistance I'd be more than happy to take another look for you.

Thank you again. 

Hi.  After the visit I was told that the issue was at the cabinet and that it would be fixed in 48 hours. I was told to expect a call too…but nothing has been fixed and no call…what to do?

Hi @Foyablanca,

Sorry to hear the issue still persists after you were advised the issue at the cabinet would be resolved within 48 hours. 

Are you able to reboot the hub for me now and let me know if you notice any difference?

We may need to refer this to the Area Field Manager for advice. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs