Menu
danielalfred
Tuning in
Message 21 of 350
Flag for a moderator

Re: High latency to european servers

Same issue here. Rung in and they told me I was causing the issue. Also in Redhill, Surrey area. Here's to hoping they get this fixed soon, internet at the moment is literally unusable.

Darkman
Superfast
Message 22 of 350
Flag for a moderator

Seems a bit better this morning, still ~2.5x slower ping than usual, but at least that's better than 30x or higher.

00.28s pinging 7 locations
05.29s 34ms London, UK
05.29s 41ms St. Ghislain, Belgium, EU
05.29s 66ms Frankfurt, DE, EU
05.29s 67ms Dublin, Ireland, EU
05.29s 72ms Amsterdam, Netherlands, EU
05.29s 74ms Darmstadt, Germany, EU
05.29s 85ms Zurich, Switzerland, EU

Edit, I spoke too soon, it's already starting to slow down again:

SH 2ac, 200Mb BB; V6 TiVo, Full House TV; M Phone just to call VM
0 Kudos
Luke_113
Fibre optic
Message 23 of 350
Flag for a moderator

So I read the first few posts and skipped to the end, apologies if I've missed that this has already been covered.
I saw the traceroute and saw something that I'd noticed back in early december, and a thread on here discussed the exact same issue, its the aorta.net hop that is often the issue, this is a peering company based in Amsterdam, and the theory previously was that VM were forced to use them as they're also owned (apparently) by Liberty Global (VM's parent company) and they have issues at peak sometimes, whatever VM did in December after around a week of complaints seems to have fixed it.

I think Virgin are having a mini crisis atm, they have alot of over congested nodes (just look at how many have latency and speed issues on any of the front pages of the main forums), and I believe a core capacity issue (I've posted details on another thread about how I came to this conclusion - if you click through my post history its only a few back), slap on top of that congestion outside of the VM network and therefore very little they can do, only adds to the problem, this is probably on top of the hub3's Intel Puma 6 chipset issues. Either way something is very wrong at VM at the moment.
Best advice is to leave them if you are within the cancellation period, alternatively if you're a gamer as many are on this forum, google Cisas, start case with them (this costs you nothing at all even if you lose which I'd be surprised if you do) and explain that you went with Virgin as a big uk isp they should be trust worthy, have a reliable and good network etc... but don't, not only that but they neglected to mention an issue with their chosen modem/router that you have no choice but to use in the Intel Puma 6 chipset issue which they've known about for over 2 years sinces trials began and a very well known member of the forum flagged to them the issue and they ignored it and pushed on, here we are 2 years later and all the problems Virgin are currently having are making this even worse. Either way, open a case, Virgin will likely make you a 'settlement' offer, do not accept this, do not accept their lies about fixing issues etc...
Pongo
On our wavelength
Message 24 of 350
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I think that all of the evidence points to a series of ongoing core network issues. For me, this is just the worst latency period in a series of laggy EU episodes. For gaming, I run parallel accounts in USA and Russia, as these usually have lower latency than EU sites - different routing, I guess.

Its pretty galling that VM's support system seems to have been briefed to string customers along with a pantomime of "are all the cables plugged in?" and so forth, rather than admit that there is an unresolvable problem at nodes in UK and Europe.

Incidentally, I notice that several other threads in these forums have received a VM staff intervention over the weekend, but that this one - with one of the largest current "viewings" - has so far not elicited a response.

My ping has gone down from 1300-1600ms to a measly 300ms or so across a range of large public websites (even the BBC here in UK), but thats still pretty rubbish.

I'd love to switch ISPs, but I expect that they are all unreliable. Without a usable VM service for five days or so, I decided to switch on an EE 4G mobile broadband dongle I happen to have - only to find that the data allowance has vanished, and extremely common EE "fault" (yes, ok...). Turns out that there is not a single customer service facility accessible over the weekend. Ho hum, no PC gaming; I had no choice to but to paint the bedroom instead....
Pasbags
Dialled in
Message 25 of 350
Flag for a moderator

While it's certainly better than what it was, ping is still not where it should be and is about as useful as a chocolate tea pot for gaming...

Hopefully we get a response from the MOD team today about the issue 

0 Kudos
Darkman
Superfast
Message 26 of 350
Flag for a moderator

Interestingly I received one of those 'The Virgin Media team would like to hear your feedback' survey e-mails on Sunday, so I duly obliged with 3 zeros as the problem hasn't even been acknowledged by VM, never mind fixed, despite much of Surrey being affected it seems.

I received a call from L*** at VM about it not 2 hours later. Unfortunately I was busy at the time so asked her if she could call back after 20 minutes. I've not heard back yet, but the more people we speak to the more chance we'll find one person who knows who to talk to in the Networks team to get this fixed. I don't blame the UK call centre teams (the overseas call centres are a different matter), most of them want to do the right thing but are either not trained well enough to understand what we are talking about when we get technical, or are not able to contact the people who can actually understand and fix the issue.

SH 2ac, 200Mb BB; V6 TiVo, Full House TV; M Phone just to call VM
Pongo
On our wavelength
Message 27 of 350
Flag for a moderator

Third session with "support". This time for 2 hours hanging on the phone whilst things were unplugged, replugged, ping'd and discussed somewhere in India. Second line support & line manager involved - apparently, as none of them actually spoke to me.

The whole session appeared to achieve little else but to confirm that the ping was correct as displayed on the "pingplotter" that they could view via remote desktop.

So, I will get a new router in a couple of days and, if that does not work, an engineer visit will be booked. I'm pretty sure my router is just fine; somehow i get the feeling that I won't be enjoying a normal internet service for at least another week..... Smiley Mad

Luke_113
Fibre optic
Message 28 of 350
Flag for a moderator

Pongo, I can advise switching to either Sky or BT, both known to prioritise game traffic across their core, and both with a HUGE latency diff, my chosen game that I play alot of, over 6,000 games in 3 years I have an average ping of 25-40/50ms, at best the lowest I'll see is something like 17ms this will be at 3am in the morning. My friend on the other hand, on BT is getting no more than 12ms, with his average 7ms maybe 8/9ms on a busy night for BT.... Sky are a very similar story. Yes I understand before a super user comes in, YES I know that Docsis WILL give a slightly higher latency, but to that tune? With that much fluctuation?

For the second largest ISP in the UK, they do a poor job, but then I'm just repeating myself.

In response to your comment about VM staff, actually I've noticed the opposite, they've actually scaled back in being so draconian in my experience as I'm used to being heavily edited (sometimes so the post doesn't even resemble the original point I was making), with the exception recently being to a reply that took me around 30mins to write out, which didn't break any house rules, nothing, was just deleted by an admin and no explanation, even when I DM'd the mod team to ask why - as usually I'll get a message to warn me about this house rule or that house rule etc... which I get and sometimes I'll discuss with them.

Watch this be edited now Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
Luke_113
Fibre optic
Message 29 of 350
Flag for a moderator

@darkman oh I get those regularly from Virgin Media Business - on a scale of 0-10 where would you put recommending VMB? ZERO every time, I even wrote in response to a CS agent who emailed me directly asking for feedback, and finished with a paragraph 'I don't know why I even bother doing this, nobody reads these because nothing changes at Virgin Media, if you read this email me back to say Readit12345 and I'll believe these are read'

Guess what, I've not had an email... that was after the end of the email stating someone would come back to me within 48 hours, this was just over a week ago.
0 Kudos
samsuperbiker
Tuning in
Message 30 of 350
Flag for a moderator

Thank god I'm not the only one with this issue, huge ping spikes and packet loss to European servers for me, I also live in Redhill Surrey.

I used to work for Virgin as a tech and have asked my friend who is still working as a tech if he knows of any problems in our area, I'll let you all know what he says when he gets back to me.