Menu
liamstainton
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

High Utilization Fix date check

Hey!

Could anybody check if the fault ref number is showing anything for them? Tried to get an update from Virgin last week about the fix but couldn't get through.

Ref: F008614751

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: High Utilization Fix date check

Let's see what VM have to say.  Since the original "fix date" was 11 Feb, it's probable that's still showing on the system (as far as I can tell, CS and forum staff can't see any "history" of dates, not whether there's any work actually programmed).  I suspect that come Friday, the fix date will mysteriously have advanced a couple of weeks or a month.

In some areas VM do indeed undertake work to rejig the local networks to balance loads and eliminate over-utilisation. But sometimes/often that's either not possible, or judged uneconomic if there's a need to spend money on more equipment. And sadly VM have a major problem with being transparent about this, so there's no way of knowing if a fix date is actually backed by an actual plan of action and programme of works. 

In all honesty your best course of action would have been to have bailed out in your cooling off period, that's now gone, so you either bank on the problem being Covid related, and sit it out, hoping it resolves in the next few months.  Or you can raise a complaint asking to be released from contract without penalty due to the over-utilisation. 

All of which will be irrelevant if VM fix this by Thursday........

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

liamstainton
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks so much for looking into it - it's just that there has been no sign of improvement and its not like miraculously on the 11th the latency issues have immediatley gone right? 

In terms of leaving, I have haggled to extend my cooling off period to the 11th so either way I am hopefully covered. 

I'm guessing that these fix dates change a lot then? Is it rare for something like this to be actually fixed?

Liam

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If VM did carry out works to fix over-utilisation, then yes, the problem could disappear overnight.  The company insist that all instances of over-utilisation are treated seriously, with a view to resolving them.  But the track record, judging by the reports in this forum is that fix dates are missed about six-ten times more frequently than they are met, and that resolution times are measured in terms of blocks of many months, sometimes years.  

But why take my word for it?  Read these, all relating to the same customer trying to get an over-utilisation issues fixed.  Read start to finish, in order (and weep):

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Upload-issues-in-AL5-what-when-will-something-be-done/m-p...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/AL5-no-light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel/m-p/4280173

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/AL5-upload-speed-back-in-the-dak-ages/m-p/4389464

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/AL5-from-bad-to-worse/td-p/4563914

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

liamstainton
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Oh wow - doesn't look good does it!
Either [REMOVED] latency or months/years of potentially waiting for nothing!

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi LiamStainton,
Thanks for your post, I am sorry you're having this issue with your broadband services recently. 
I have had a look at your services on my side and can see there is an area ticket open, which is regarding congestion on the line. 
This is due to be fixed - 11 FEB 2021 10:00 - but please be aware this is just an estimate, it could change depending on what the engineers find. However, I am sure they will be working incredibly hard to get this fixed as soon as possible for you.
Thanks, 
Megan_L

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So.....did the fault get fixed?

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Andruser wrote:

So.....did the fault get fixed?

i'm happy to run a book on this one. the odds are long though. 😛