Menu
uppyuk
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

High Latency Issues

Hi,

For the past 3 weeks or so, I've been having serious issues with network performance. Specifically from around 4pm onwards. I've called Virgin a number of times for them to say there is no issues in the area at all, and the problem lied with my hub (Virgin hub 2) which they kindly replaced to a Hub 3. But still, I seem to be experiencing the same problems.

BQM 

I've had the above BQM running to evidence the issues. Clearly, 4pm onwards - the performance is shockingly bad.

I'm running the Hub as a modem only into a separate router (Netgear Nighthawk R7000). I've tried cancelling this out, and running the Hub as router too, but this hasn't helped. Connections to devices are wireless. Speed tests run fine on 2G & 5G. Looked at all the connections, everything is secure. 

I'm running out of ideas. I try ring on an evening when the problems are at the worst, but I can never get through sadly. 

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: High Latency Issues

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you should post the link straight away.

Post a 'Live Link' to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
uppyuk
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Yeah I linked the Broadband Quality Monitor in the post above.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/e32c856b6c4d3926111fe2310a5a19e3f8... 

Hopefully that's linked again.

Cheers

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It certainly looks like evening time utilisation.

Get back onto them about the evening time speeds.

Do some sped tests during the day and evening to prove the slowdown, use the same device and cable each time. Maybe a test every two hours throughout the day and evening at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
uppyuk
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I'll give it a go, and get back on to them if I can.

Seriously just considering cancelling though to be honest. I asked if an engineer could come out the last time I called, and was told it wasn't necessary and that the new hub would certainly fix any problems. They also told me that an engineer would call after my Hub was delivered to ensure everything was ok. Instead I got 2 sales calls offering me a black friday TV deal, or a choice of some mobile phone packages - wasn't best pleased.

Thanks for responding & offering some help.

0 Kudos