Menu
markkenton
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

High Latency (25mS)

VM Broadband has fantastic download speed of almost 200Mb/s, but latency is high around 25mS, resulting in a laggy Browsing experience.

Are there any cures to get the latency down to circa 5mS, which is what I see from most OpenReach home connections, 2mS at my work.

Thank you

Mark

0 Kudos
legacy1
Legend
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: High Latency (25mS)

Depending on where the server is a stable 25ms is fine.

If you have a hub 3 you may have latency issues.

markkenton
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have a Hub3 (the latest dual Band version)

Thank you, that is interesting. I guess there is not much that can be done to improve that

Warm regards

Mark

0 Kudos
legacy1
Legend
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

markkenton wrote:

I have a Hub3 (the latest dual Band version)

Thank you, that is interesting. I guess there is not much that can be done to improve that

Everyone is hoping for a fix of the main three protocols ICMP, TCP and UDP for latency

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I wouldn't have thought a lag of 25ms would cause a laggy browsing experience, 25ms is pretty fast considering it takes the human brain about 13ms to process an image. A monitor with a refresh rate of 60Hz will take 16ms to refresh an image for reference.

xDSL connections will always have a lower latency than DOCSIS due to the different ways the two technologies work, as xDSL lines are trained for stability and will only deliver the speed the stability of the line will allow, whilst DOCSIS is best effort driven. An average latency of arounf 20ms is not bad for a cable connection to say Thinkbroadband's BQM firebrick servers.

There are many other things that can cause browsers to appear to lag like slow DNS servers (try Google's on 8.8.8.8), Browser Plugins, Wireless Interference, Connection impairments, Busy servers, Firewalls, Hardware issues. etc. etc.

It would be worth testing with another browser and temporarily turning any software firewalls off.

Edit

I see Legacy beat me to it

0 Kudos