cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with smart devices please

Raynor17
Joining in

Hi there, 

I had residential 200mb installed last weekend. Although I can see on the speed test I am getting around 200, it keeps going slow when watching videos etc. I spoke to customer service who explained that I have too many devices connected to the 2.4 part. I have quite a few smart bulbs/plugs. 
As I work from home my local rep has upgraded me to business 350mb broadband now.
I’m just wondering when I install this is there something I need to do to even out what’s connected to what? If that makes sense? 

12 REPLIES 12

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
You need to get a better wireless router with 1Gb ports and put the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------

They are supplying a new router with the business plan. Apparently it’s what’s used in shops? Would this suffice or not?

excuse my ignorance, I’m by no means a pro. But what happens when put in modem mode? I was told I needed to split the 2.4 and 5; but I never did. They automatically connected to whatever they needed.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The business Router is a Hitron, and is more difficult to manage than the standard Hub 3/4.  At least with a business account you get an SLA for fault repairs.

Seems odd VM would sell you a business account just to manage smart devices.  Personally I'd have bought a better SoHo Router and stuck the Hub in modem mode.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

He just said it would be faster and not drop out? I have no idea really but it’s £3 cheaper a month for more speed so I’m not too bothered. I suppose il just have to wait and see if it’s any better once that’s installed

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Raynor17 wrote:

He just said it would be faster and not drop out? I have no idea really but it’s £3 cheaper a month for more speed so I’m not too bothered. I suppose il just have to wait and see if it’s any better once that’s installed

Yes, please let us know how you get on.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi there @Raynor17

Thank you so much for your post and I'm so sorry to hear that you are facing these issues with your devices. 

I'm not able to look into this as it is a business account but I will pop you a PM now and grab some details and we will ask the business team to reach out to you directly. 

Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message received. 

Thank you. 

@Raynor17 you don't by any chance use any of the VM-branded email addresses do you (@virginmedia.com, ntlworld.com, blueyonder.com) or have the TV service from them? The reason I ask is that I'm fairly sure that TV and email are not possible with a VM business account and once your old residential account is closed off, any email and TV service will go with it.

No I don’t. He did warn me about that. But we are with another to provider.

Thanks. But the problem I have is with the residential broadband. The question I have is, is it going to be the same issue once I have the business broadband installed..