cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me fix my broadband

bubblegun23
Tuning in

My broadband is rubbish. It downloads really fast but the connection is really poor for any normal usage. Streaming is patchy, music streaming stops frequently, internet radio cuts out every few minutes. I have a BQM running from thinkbroadband and it looks terrible. I used this when I had Sky Broadband and it looked much less noisy so its something to do with my line. I'm in a FTTP RFoG area. Its been on and off like this for a year.My BQM 

I have: 500Mb RFoG broadband, Virgin TV360, and voip telephone.
63 REPLIES 63

I have two running - this is original asus router now sitting behind hub in router mode

This is the VirginHub in Router mode.

That is the red line around 12.30pm. sorry 2pm.

sorry for any confusion

Seem one is spikily the other problem when downloading.

You should connect a PC to the hub in modem mode without a router allow BQM on firewall for a new IP and see what happens then you can use MAC clone option on your router to get that IP or another IP.

Is your Asus Router using Asus firmware? since in modem mode the Asus would be doing the pinging then router mode doing the pinging and might just be the way Asus delay the ping but you connection is fine in modem mode or VM messed up modem mode... 

---------------------------------------------------------------

To be honest, I think I'll just run it in this sub-optimal configuration for now. It has been more stable and functionally it works, streaming is working without glitching. Just need to remember to do full reset of hub every few weeks.

I sure would not be happy with how your connection is.

Well, it's not been 2 days yet, and internet radio streaming is starting to glitch again already.

@legacy1 wrote:

Seem one is spikily the other problem when downloading.

You should connect a PC to the hub in modem mode without a router allow BQM on firewall for a new IP and see what happens then you can use MAC clone option on your router to get that IP or another IP.

Is your Asus Router using Asus firmware? since in modem mode the Asus would be doing the pinging then router mode doing the pinging and might just be the way Asus delay the ping but you connection is fine in modem mode or VM messed up modem mode... 

To go back to this...

My Router is using the Asus Merlin Firmware - I needed this for previous ISP (Sky) and I like some of the extra features.

So are you saying - Connect PC to Virgin Hub in modem mode. This should force a new IP from Virgin. Then clone this MAC onto Asus Router and run that for abit to see what the BQM does?

If thats what you mean to do then I might try this.

I'm also thinking the Merlin Firmware may not be dealing with BQM that well so try Asus firmware or test BQM with a PC without a router.

Okay I have just switched back to modem mode and have reverted to default asus firmware on my router.

I have updated the BQM too so it should show connection correctly from 9.30 am.

Looking good. or not

Any download or upload you do may show a spike so keep that in mind unless you have setup QoS/BWM right

It's starting to look a bit rubbish again now.