cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Half Speed and High Utilisation

minichris
Dialled in

Hi

Im consistently getting only ~100mbps of my 200 package and appear to have high utilisation in my area. 

bqm.png

Could anyone kindly check for any open issues and book me a ticket if not please?

22 REPLIES 22

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Looks like it could be OU. VM will come here and comment in a day or two.

See this thread re. over-utilisation and Andrew’s comments in Message 20

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Internet-keeps-dropping-for-several-minutes...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

@jbrennand wrote:
Looks like it could be OU. VM will come here and comment in a day or two.

See this thread re. over-utilisation and Andrew’s comments in Message 20

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Internet-keeps-dropping-for-several-minutes...

"2) Get yourself a new ISP. "

Unfortunately for me its VM or ~2mbps via any other provider. 

I may be in the sit it out category for some time lol

Its weird because I get several days like this - 

bqm2.JPG

With sporadic days like this - 

bqm3.JPG

Which by comparison is quite good. Utilisation 100%, but its not consistent every day.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Is there a weekday/weekend difference ? Looks like OU to me.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Its weird because the utilisation is random, always in the evening but no set pattern on days.
So a Wednesday could see very high OU on the evening but the following Saturday could be relatively normal. The next week it could be Sunday evening thats bad, then Tuesday etc etc.

Week of BQM Thur to Thur -

weekbqm.JPG

Thursday, Sunday and Tuesday being the worst this week. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Its odd - could be an intermittent fault.

Have you checked first for any “known network faults”

As well as trying the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level. These may not be listed on the Area Status web page (Areas are not “Geographic” they are billing areas) as that usually only covers faults affecting 1000’s of customers) so phone may give you more info, but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers.

If nothing shows on there, try calling it in as a fault (free on 150 VM line - or 0345 454 1111 others - national rate) and see what they say when they test your connection. If they say it’s a known fault, get a fault reference number.

Or a VM person will respond on here in a day or two and take a look at the connection

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hi there @minichris, thanks for your post.

Sorry to see you are having issues with the speed on your broadband connection. As @jbrennand has asked were you able to check our service page to see if this has been caused by any known area issues?

Also have you noticed if this has been happening on both wired and wireless connections? Can you try a pin hole reset on the hub then monitor for 24 hours to see if this makes any difference?

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Hi Nathan

I have been monitoring it for a few more days and have seen an improvement in speed and utilisation. 

Its not perfect but its much much better. This is the last 24 hours - 

6136cbb3d8334510941aa4af555da2c608d07bc9-07-04-2022.png

I will keep an eye and see if it goes back to how it was or stays acceptable.

Thanks