cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HUB 4 changing SSIDs?

Woken
Tuning in

Hi guys,

Bit of a weird one and before I reset the HUB4 to factory, was wondering if anyone had same issue?

I have 2 SSIDs respectively for 2.4 and 5.0 networks as follows (X replaces exact name)

XXXX-XXXX-2.4

XXXX-XXXX-5.0

I'm running it with 2 SSIDs for a reason that some parts of home I'm getting lesser coverage with 5.0 and some devices connecting to 2.4 automatically as they sense signal of 5.0 is lower which is undesirable.

Now, when I restart my HUB4, the SSID of 2.4 changes to this:

XXXX-XXXX

The "-2.4" part of SSID is removed for some reason, and obvs, those devices that were connecting to it won't connect so I have to go back to admin and change SSID to XXXX-XXXX-2.4.

SSID of 5.0 stays as it should be after restart, only SSID for 2.4 change, do you happen to know why is it doing it? is it a bug?

As always appreciate the pointers and replies!

6 REPLIES 6

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

dont know of that issue or whether its a bug - it likely is - the hub3 and 4 have issues with the wifi settings - try turning wifi off and its likely to come back of its own accord or show as off and you can still connect to it

firmware updates happen as and when - bugs can be forever - if you have found a situation that works then use it - if the 2.4 band stays without the 2.4 on the end of whatever ssid you choose then use that 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

It may not make a difference but I'm old school and only ever use alphanumeric characters with _

ie. xxxx_xxxx_2g and xxxx_xxxx_5g

Sometimes innocuous things like fullstops can make some firmware poop itself and try and roll back any changes!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Thanks guys, both good points.

I can agree with "dot" being possible culprit here, however it did work fine on HUB3 like this with no issues.

I'll fiddle around and check if that makes difference.

Cheers.

Eeeps
Well-informed

Tend to agree with @lotharmat on the 'special character' idea.

The firmware for the SH3 & 4 are quite different so what works for one does not mean it'll work for the other!

It's a bit strange that 5.0 is ok but 2.4 isn't. Could be the parsing/validation routines are somehow trying to convert the number to an integer and then fails part way through when processing 2.4.

Personally I do not use any 'special' characters in SSIDs - not really any need.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

From memory I seem to recall someone here having to switch off the wifi "Smart Optimisation" as well to get the changed SSID's to stick ?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

There's been a range of oddities newly introduced to previously functioning wifi through VM firmware changes.  Maybe time to consider investing in your own mesh wifi or router setup?  Not only will the underlying performance be better than the pound shop router built into the hubs, but if you run the hub in modem mode, your wifi will be completely isolated from any unrequested and possibly unintended changes or faults rolled out by VM.