cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HUB 4 Port Query

markmcg
On our wavelength

Ok, I have just received a HUB4, installed and activated, no problems.  The advertised speed is ~1100mps, the most I get is 950mps.

I know it is fast!!! but still 150mbs (about 15%) less than advertised.  So I thought ok, I need a new NW card...so bought and installed a 2.5Gbps PCI-E card also bought a CAT 7 cable and linked directly to HUB4...still no faster 😞

Question is...are the ports on the HUB4 ONLY 1Gbps?

So you will never reach the advertised speeds!

Thoughts on HUB 4 ports please? 🙂

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@markscottuk wrote:

Its a failing on the part of Virgin Media not to put in 10Gb ports into the Hub 4.  even mid to high end PCs are now coming with 10Gb onboard NICs I wonder if there is a restriction on the "WAN" side of the router or if it will accept any speed Virgin flings at it?

Most residential ISPs will use custom versions for existing hardware designs from their commercial partners. In Virgin Media's case (and their parent company Liberty Global) this is currently Arris / Commscope. None of their currently available gateway devices include 10Gbit Ethernet.

Commscope have fairly recently started to include 2.5Gbit Ethernet, but this was after the Hub 4 and it's originating parent device was designed around 3/4 years ago. The same is true for other suppliers Virgin Media have used in the past such as Netgear - 2.5Gbit is now becoming more mainstream but wasn't when the Hub 4 was being designed.

I'm personally not aware of any residential modem or router that comes with 10Gbit - it's either 1Gbit most of the time or 2.5Gbit, and sometimes only one 2.5Gbit port too.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

22 REPLIES 22

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can get a whopping 950mb to each device or a total of over 1100mb combined

jem101
Superstar

@markmcg wrote:

snip....

Question is...are the ports on the HUB4 ONLY 1Gbps?

.... snip

Yes they are!

markmcg
On our wavelength

Ok, many thanks, my analysis deduced the same..SO the questions is, why do Virgin media advertise the speed of 1100mbs, when it can never be achieved?? 😐

Even if 950mbs is advertised, it is still fast...though I suppose you cannot call it Giga1? 🙂

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I disagree, 1100 is a capacity, I can get 600mb on my PC and 600 on another PC at the same time. Virgin are delivering the speed to the hub and I can utilise it

markmcg
On our wavelength

Hhmm..suppose interpretation.  However, if you look for example at M350, this is not the combined speeds of all the ports (so you would be happy with 100, 100 & 150?  don't think so) but the single speed expected to be delivered (same as any other provider claim). This speed cannot physically be delivered out of the router because the ports need to be 2.5Gbs or higher NOT the 1Gbs.  You can deliver any speed to the router, but the output is limited to the actual spec of the port.

Probably needs someone from VM to clarify 🙂

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have a look here, it's explained on the sales page

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/gig1-gigabit-broadband?buspart=uk_ps_acq_cable_GOOGLE_Cab...

Gig1 Fibre available on 18 month minimum term contract; price fixed for 24 months.  Prices from £62.  Fixed price excludes additional add-ons.  Subject to survey, network capacity and credit check.
UK’s Fastest Major Broadband Provider; based on Gig1 Fibre avg speed 1.140Mbps vs avg speeds of major UK ISPs.  To verify see virginmedia.com/Gig1Compare. Correct at date of publication.
Advertised speeds in excess of 1Gbps are delivered to the home. To utilise the full speed capability multiple device connections operating at optimum speed and capacity are required. Device limitations apply. External factors may impact speed.

markmcg
On our wavelength

Hi,

Had a look, yep you're correct on the sales wording. 😊  However, my contract says different (nowhere over multiple devices to achieve the speed, only a stated download speed of between 1,118-1,145Mbps).  It is 'careful' marketing by VM as 1 connected device will never reach the claimed speed due to port limitations (unless you can link ports (doubtful)? or the new HUB 5 has faster ones?) 😁??

I am still happy with the speed, just a bit miffed I bought a 2.5Gbps NW card to test speed😉

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I hope one day they can update the hub to allow port bonding so two ports can be used to deliver over 1gig in modem mode