cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HITRON ROUTER AND 5 STATIC IPs Slow Speed

cappilio
On our wavelength

So i have a vmb connection, 

5 static ip's so the hitron has to be used in modem mode. 

the consistency of the speed im getting is terrible. I am only comparing it to another vm residential line, on vromm 350 it gets 350 all the time no matter what, also in comparison the general ping and jitter were miles better.

my business 500 line, i'm lucky to see 250 most days, odd time at night i will get 400+, i have noticed on speed tests when i do get to the 500 tests which is rare, as soon as that limit gets hit its like the whole connection is nerf'd and it drops to 150mb. 

I cant work out if its some traffic management going on, or perhaps the hitron just cant do the required throughput so craps out?

I reported the problem a million times via text, most of the time i get a text saying problem has been resolved, once i had a guy come and change the coax connector. but nothing seems to make a difference.

or is this a case of,, this is the service and its working within paramaters. my expectations V a previous residential line are just not realistic? i just expcted to pay for a business service and pay more, that maybe that service would be better. exclduing the static ip's which has now benefited me for work purposes the general, speed, availability, relaibility of this line in comparison is dissapointing. I truly hope i just have a fault. but it seems less and less liekly. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
"however, both residential and business use the same infrastructure and line, there is no difference between them."

But static IP tunnel back over a GRE tunnel so that may well change things

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

Have a look at https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/11/uk-virgin-media-business-static-ip-users-suffer-unstab... this has been from what I am aware being going on for some time.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

34 REPLIES 34

spgray
Problem sorter

you have a business product, this forum is residential only.
you will need to speak to virgin business support, they don't have a community forum.

however, both residential and business use the same infrastructure and line, there is no difference between them.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

cappilio
On our wavelength

Thanks, I appreciate that. I almost didn't post but I searched and saw multiple posts about VM business and the hittron so I figured it was worth a try.

As stated I have already logged over 4 calls with vmb support and I'm still in the same position.

But thankyou for the advice.

the main point about virgin business (or it's supposed to be at least) is the higher level of support and SLAs to go along with it.

i'd be speaking to your account manager to raise the issue you have with support.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"however, both residential and business use the same infrastructure and line, there is no difference between them."

@apcyberax that's already volumes amount of more information then vmbsupport have enlightenmed me with.

So I figure the GRE tunnel is how they provide the static address I did find it weird that the modem actually picks up a dynamic IP first before it's moves onto the static ones.

That would explain it. Problem is now I think the problem is more inherent with the technology used. I wonder how many more reset your modem conversation I need to have with support before it's resolved. If they even see it as in issue. I will try escalate my service call. Thankyou

@Anonymous wrote:

still the same physical line though

cappilio
On our wavelength

Maybe im wrong but wouldnt that have some sort of affect on the overall MTU? so the mtu available to me in thoery has a little more overhead+me?

all i know is, its just eratic i cant count on it at all, this morning seems better im using 480mb consistently with little amount of jitter and a decent ping rate.

but now my upload has gone in the toilet, flat out 11mb from the 35mb i was told i was getting and to which i have reached previously.  pulling my hair out

drguiom
On our wavelength

interesting and I am seeing the same as it fluctuates and sometimes tops out at 500mbps. (same setup with 5 IPs and GRE tunnel)

Will keep an eye on it but it might well be congestion related so will report to VM when I have more data

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 10.18.23 AM.png

drguiom
On our wavelength

one last thing, my line went from a 200mps residential to 500Mbps business on the 9th hence the change in the graph