Menu
Highlighted
theThought
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 27
Flag for a moderator

HELP, my broadband upgrade halved my broadband speed

Hi

I have been a Virgin Media Broadband customer for over five years.  I have benefited from their constant speed increases and generally tracked their improvements by upgrading as each speed increase occurred.

For quite a while I have been running on 220mb having upgraded from 200mb.  

I am also a SamKnows user.  I have been with them since they started and have used them to monitor my internet speed at the point of entry into the house for all this time.

Apart from a few exceptions (where I have engaged support to rectify problems) the statistics coming out of my SamKnows box have reflected the official speeds of my contract.

On January 16th I upgraded to 350mb.  On January 20th my broadband speed dropped from a fairly steady 220mb to just 112mb (fluctuating as low as 104mb).

I have let that run for a few days to see if it was just a blip, but today after 15 days on continually low speed results I decided to ring support.

To my dismay, the technician refused to acknowledge by use of SamKnows and proceeded to go through a complex set of tests with my mac to determine my speed.  None of those tests causes the speed to raise about 110mb.

Eventually, when he asked me to put my mac in safe mode.  I baulked and again tried to explain that my concern was about the speed at the point of entry into my house and not the wifi or ethernet speed from the router.

I escalated the issue to his manager (because we were making no progress) and was told that 110mb was good enough and that he was happy to downgrade my speed if I was concerned that I was paying more than I should for the speed I am getting.

My questions are:

Is SamKnows a reliable test of speed into the house?

Does Virgin accept SamKnows as an independent verification of speed?

Does anyone know why upgrading to 350mb should have caused my speed to drop to 100mb

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should proceed, in order to get the 350mb pipe that I think that I am paying for.

Not that is should matter, but I am using my router in modem mode as I have an orbi mesh wifi system.

the SamKnows router is wired directly into the Virgin Router and so is outside of the Orbi Mesh.

I welcome any questions, comments, ideas or thoughts

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: HELP, my broadband upgrade halved my broadband speed

afaik samknows is accurate - it certainly is for me - so forgetting offshore who are generall clueless apart from turn on and off and its your equipment

i assume you have a hub3 - you should have on 350

post the levels

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labeled - upstream - downstream

100 is typical of a damaged lan cable so check that - if you change to a new lan cable be sure its cat5e or better

make sure all lan connections are firmly home

Tony
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi there theThought

Thank you for your post on our community forum pages.

We are sorry to hear that you have been experiencing issues with the speeds of your service. 

We'd like to help you with this on here as much as possible.

Are you able to perform a speed test using http://speedtest.net/ using an Ethernet cable from  the router to a laptop or PC please? 

David_Pn
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
theThought
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I did check with a Mac running OSX Sierra, connected by ethernet cable to the Virgin Router.  On the four tests that I did it never reported higher than 110mb.

Following the recent comments, I am going to change the ethernet cable tonight to make sure that that is not compromised.

jbrennand
Hero
Message 5 of 27
Flag for a moderator

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, you need to do the test below first. I am a Mac only man... Which Mac were you using

Make sure your device has a gigabit network card and has the up to date drivers. Use a new Cat5e/6a ethernet cable to connect it to the Hub - which you have put into modem mode (to ensure only your device is connected). Then, boot up your device into "safe mode" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds) and run the test at speedtest.net on 2 different browsers one of which is a fresh download of one you haven’t previously used (e.g. Firefox, Opera, etc).

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
theThought
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Screenshot 2019-02-06 at 14.37.56.png

This is a snapshot of my SamKnows analysis for the last 30 days. You can clearly see a drop off, four days after I asked to change my contract, it was the same day as I activated the new contract. SamKnows is running from an ethernet cable plugged directly into the router.
theThought
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 27
Flag for a moderator

My Mac is a 17" macbook pro

I am using ethernet not wi-fi and I have run in safe mode, the result is no different.

My SamKnows router runs linux, also with an ethernet cable.  It has no software which would affect the speedtest.

Both were reporting accurate speeds prior to the change on the 20th.  The contract change is the only variable here, my devices have remained constant.

This is not a question about speed through my house, this is a question about the speed at the point of entry into my house.  I consider SamKnows to be a reliable test as it performs its tests while there is no other activity on the network.

jbrennand
Hero
Message 8 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Have you ever got over ~200mbps since the "upgrade" - they sometimes "forget" to apply it or the serial number can get mistyped. Go into the hub settings and look in the config files "max downstrean & upstream speed" boxes and see what they are.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 27
Flag for a moderator

whats you upload speed from samknows

Tony
0 Kudos
theThought
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 27
Flag for a moderator

My upload speed is 20mb, this increased from 12mb on the 20th.

0 Kudos