cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[HELP] Wired connection slow but wireless fast? (550Mbps Wireless) & (130Mbps Wired)??!!

Ripp
Up to speed

My Virgin Media fiber connection has been a rock solid 550Mbps for nearly 1 year but for the last 3 days on my wired connection it's just 130Mbps. My phone still gets 550Mbps over a wireless connection (right next to the Hub).

I've tried both a desktop PC and a laptop with a wired connection and gotten near enough the same result so I can rule out my hardware so it must be a problem with the VM Hub's wired connection somewhere?

Any ideas?

24 REPLIES 24

Well my hub is giving a stable 550+Mbps over WiFi so it can't be an issue outside of my house, the hub is just having a problem kicking out the same speed over the wired connection even though it's been fine for 10 months. Hopefully the engineer visit on Friday will sort it. My guess is a problem with the hub. 

And strangely my wifi hasn't been that problematic either...My iPhone 8 average (beside Hub) has been around 500 odds over past few months??? My last realsam download to hub/device results on my phone hourly were:  429/460...924/614...401/596...988/590...425/609... 393/485 (Upload always around 50). I wonder if realsam is actually the issue sometimes because if im getting e.g. 401 to the hub then how can i get 596 to the pc?

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@ewhitey wrote:

And strangely my wifi hasn't been that problematic either...My iPhone 8 average (beside Hub) has been around 500 odds over past few months??? My last realsam download to hub/device results on my phone hourly were:  429/460...924/614...401/596...988/590...425/609... 393/485 (Upload always around 50). I wonder if realsam is actually the issue sometimes because if im getting e.g. 401 to the hub then how can i get 596 to the pc?

good question - i only have 200 speed but have a hub4 and my speed to the PC is always higher than my speed to the hub using the samknows test - i have just assumed there is actually some overhead in the reading shown to the hub or the test is rubbish - the speed to the hub may or may be of interest but only if the speed at the pc is low 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

adhsmith
On our wavelength
samknows has been pretty rubbish for me also.

SOLVED! I turned out it was a problem my end. For whatever reason I had to reset my network adapter settings on my wired PC. The low speed results I was getting with the wired laptops must have just been a coincidence as they are old laptops.

For reference it's: Windows Start Menu/Settings/Network & Internet/Network Reset

Just to add for anyone else trying to diagnose exactly what part of a network is causing speed issues, it's worth buying an Ethernet to USB-C (or whatever USB your mobile phone has) for about £10 from the Rainforest. As it essentially turns your phone into a network speed meter.

I bought a USB-C 1Gbps one and I use the Ookla speed test app so now I can just plug it into any port or ethernet cable that's connected to the internet and it'll do a speed test. By process of elimination I can now narrow down what's at fault. If I'd have had that a week ago I would have avoided having to take a day off work and wait around for 4hrs for a VM engineer to come out.