cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got Gig1 a few days ago but speed is worse

Robert31
Joining in

Hi, I've had Virgin Media for years now and was on the 200mbps package but decided an upgrade was in order so upgraded to Gig1. Its worth noting that I would consistently get around 130mbps on this package.

I received my Super Hub 4 on Saturday and set it up, ran a speed test expecting to be blown away but imagine my surprise when it barely got above 30mbps! This speed is similar for both WiFi and ethernet.

So I've done some trouble shooting and I believe it has to be a faulty Hub? I have my own Router so I disabled that and put the hub into Router mode but it's no better and I've tried phoning Virgin directly but they just keep telling me there is and outage in my area and I'm to wait a few days but this is ridiculous!

Im getting way slower speeds than my previous package and this only happended when I set up the Hub 4, if I reboot the Hub then my download speed shoots up to 500+Mbps for about 2 minutes then dies down to 30-40mbps and remains there until rebooted again.

Really disappointed with this experience so far! ☹️

14 REPLIES 14

Been on the phone to Virgin today and told that it will/could take 30 days to receive the full speed? If so why am I being charged for the full Gig1 package now? Told that an engineer can't be booked because the internet is functioning and would have to be completely non functioning to have one come out. 🤔

Not impressed and will be looking to scrap the contract if this isn't addressed. Paying top dollar for 30mbps is madness! 

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Robert31 wrote:

Been on the phone to Virgin today and told that it will/could take 30 days to receive the full speed? If so why am I being charged for the full Gig1 package now? Told that an engineer can't be booked because the internet is functioning and would have to be completely non functioning to have one come out. 🤔

Not impressed and will be looking to scrap the contract if this isn't addressed. Paying top dollar for 30mbps is madness! 

lets add something to that as i guess it may be true as there could be a fault in the area which is restricting speeds - if thats the case then they should have given you a fault number

that apart what you have been told is complete rubbish - and the refusal to book a tech is more rubbish - so lets get VM involved here will flag the thread

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Hi @Robert31,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting.

I am sorry to hear you are having some issues with your broadband.

I have taken a look at your account and our systems have identified a short term connectivity issue and an issue with the quality of your WiFi connection. There's also some downstream issues which would be causing slow speeds and poor performance of the broadband service. As such, a technician is required. 

I will pop you a PM now so we can get this arranged. 

Hope to hear from you soon 🙂

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for confirming the details as requested via PM @Robert31

I have booked a technician for you. You can find confirmation of the time and date via your online account and re-schedule if unsuitable. 

Let us know how the visit goes 🙂 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Robert31
Joining in

Had a visit from an engineer on Wednesday and I'm happy to say the issue has been resolved. 😀 I'm now seeing speeds ranging from 600mb-850mb which is more in line with what you would expect. 

Engineer found a damaged part of the cable and also replaced my old COAX cable and it seems to have done the trick.

Interesting that I was seeing speeds of 150mb on my old package but when I upgraded to Gig1 it would never go above 50. 🤔 Either way it's fixed now so I'm happy. 👍

Thanks to everyone who helped!