cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got Gig1 a few days ago but speed is worse

Robert31
Joining in

Hi, I've had Virgin Media for years now and was on the 200mbps package but decided an upgrade was in order so upgraded to Gig1. Its worth noting that I would consistently get around 130mbps on this package.

I received my Super Hub 4 on Saturday and set it up, ran a speed test expecting to be blown away but imagine my surprise when it barely got above 30mbps! This speed is similar for both WiFi and ethernet.

So I've done some trouble shooting and I believe it has to be a faulty Hub? I have my own Router so I disabled that and put the hub into Router mode but it's no better and I've tried phoning Virgin directly but they just keep telling me there is and outage in my area and I'm to wait a few days but this is ridiculous!

Im getting way slower speeds than my previous package and this only happended when I set up the Hub 4, if I reboot the Hub then my download speed shoots up to 500+Mbps for about 2 minutes then dies down to 30-40mbps and remains there until rebooted again.

Really disappointed with this experience so far! ☹️

14 REPLIES 14

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

what does the samknows test show 

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labelled - upstream - downstream

if its an earlier hub button is top right

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Screenshot_20210806_155634.jpg

Screenshot_20210806_155550.jpg

Screenshot_20210806_155354.jpg

Screenshot_20210806_155441.jpg

 Thank you

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

waiting for the images to show but had a look in the background - you have one download channel well off - channel 12 - do a reboot and see if the snr level changes - its about 25 at the moment which is far too low - if that does not help do a reset

not sure how one bad channel will affect things but its not right so thats the first thing to solve

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Did the reboot, had very fast speed for about 5 minutes then slowed to a crawl again. 

Screenshot_20210806_165450.jpg

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

stilll a problem with the one channel - as i say i dont know what that will do to the speed

you could run a test with the hub in modem mode - cannot see that doing anything but it gets it out of the way and VM may ask you to do it - pc in safe mode if its a windows pc

can you run the samknows test on the hub - that may tell us something

try a different lan cable - again cannot see it being that but dafter things have been a fault

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Screenshot_20210806_175116.jpg

SamKnows test fails everytime, definitely connected to the router and in router mode.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

hmmmm am running out of ideas - post the answers to the other questions i asked and wait for VM - may be a known area fault or something completely different - the one bad channel is not right but i cannot see that killing the connection as you are seeing

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Ive tried Modem mode and the speed is exactly the same, Virgin sent me out a replacement ethernet cable and that has made no difference either unfortunately. ☹️

One week tomorrow I will have had this service and so far I've yet to see my speed above 50mbps outside of when I reboot the Super Hub where I receive 500mbps for a brief couple of minutes then it drops down to 15-40.

I hope someone from Virgin will be In contact soon because this is very poor.