Menu
Highlighted
Samsalt1
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Going round in circles

Same issues as many it seems, was getting good download speeds to 108 mb at best but lately 10 - 20 mb max.

WiFi signal excellent and even with laptop stood next to router as asked to do I still get same poor results.

Connected via ethernet while at router and managed 50.6mb best out of 3 tests 5 mins apart. That offers some hope but as I'm supposed to be getting 100mb and usual usage is out of reach of ethernet cable I'm getting frustrated

Phoned back and was told other devices need to be switched off but only my laptop is on and the other device namely my partners i pad is 30 miles away and turned off..

When explaining to call centre nothing has changed in the set up and that there are no devices here to turn off told may need booster.even though as I did repeat I have EXCELLENT signal strength already !! 

Please can someone not just reading a script help me

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Hero
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Going round in circles

Need to find out if your wired connection is ok first and then see whether you just have a wifi issue.
So If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, you need to do it this way first.
Make sure your device has a gigabit network card and has the up to date drivers. Use a new Cat5e/6a ethernet cable to connect it to the Hub - which you have put into modem mode (to ensure only your device is connected). Then, boot up your device into "safe mode with networking" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds) and run the test at speedtest.net on 2 different browsers one of which is a fresh download of one you haven’t previously used (e.g. Firefox, Opera, etc).

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Samsalt1
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply, sadly I'm not tech  savvy enough to mess with boot settings, wouldn't know what a gigabit network card is if it bit me.

I did connect as said direct using the labelled ethernet cable that came with the hub and did get the better result albeit half of what is expected max.

I simply can't see why when nothing has changed in the network the speeds have dropped so much.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

hmmm above advice is good but unless you have changed anything you have done all that as you say you used to get 100 wired - so first question is HAVE you changed anything

if not then post some levels

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labeled - upstream - downstream

if its an earlier hub button is top right

what hub do you have is the next thing thats needed 

Tony
0 Kudos
Samsalt1
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

absolutely NOTHING has changes in the set up.
HUB 3 single VM number so no alternative connect options.
wouldn't know where to start re "log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labeled - upstream - downstream"
0 Kudos
Samsalt1
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

only thing I can see is that there is another strong signal in network options, guess my next door neighbour since it's good, might that be interfering ?
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Hero
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Samsalt1 wrote:
absolutely NOTHING has changes in the set up.

Unfortunately, nine times out of ten, it has - albeit unknown to the user.  Take a look at these threads to see examples of what can cause issues similat to yours.  These dont include you installing some software that is affecting speeds (e.g antivirus), or you ethernet cable failing (they do), your neighbours new wireless router, you installing a baby monitor, etc., etc.

Owning a Dell

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Download-speeds/td-p/3894056

Browsers causing speed problem

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Etherent-speed-slow/m-p/3912102#M202773

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Speed-Check-Only-get-maximum-80-instead-of-100/td-p/39522...

Turbo LAN App problem

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Slow-speed/td-p/3896582

Windows re-install

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Achieve-Full-Speed-In-Safe-Mode-Only/td-p/3...

Old Network Card driver

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Vivid-350-just-installed-but-relatively-low-speed-connect...

Bluetooth on the phone

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/2-Mbps-right-now-%EF%B8%8F/td-p/3935445

Using SamKnows Box

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Vivid-350-speed/td-p/3941298

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Samsalt1
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply, seems it may be an issue with my laptop since my partner has done a speed check with her ipad and gets a result of 50.6 mbps which is on a par with what I get when ethernet connected rather than wifi. Still not the 100 Virgin claim to be giving me but far better than the 10 -2 mbps the laptop speed tests are getting on wifi

0 Kudos
Samsalt1
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just clicked on Dell wireless WLAN card facility and comes up with warning box.. Internal config is inconsistent, restart to resolve, sadly a restart fails to fix anything.

Any clues as to solving this now would be really helpful

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Hero
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Samsalt1 wrote:

Thanks for the reply, seems it may be an issue with my laptop since my partner has done a speed check with her ipad and gets a result of 50.6 mbps which is on a par with what I get when ethernet connected rather than wifi. Still not the 100 Virgin claim to be giving me but far better than the 10 -2 mbps the laptop speed tests are getting on wifi

I am on vivid 200.  If i connect my iPhone7+ or Macbook Air onto the 5GHz network I get a rock solid 218mbps, on both.  Sat in the same chair 15 seconds later connecting on the 2.4 GHz network I always get 80-90mbps.  Its just limitations on the Apple and wifi technologies.  So do you know which network the iPad is on ?  The laptop will be due to something else - what make/model is it and what network card and wireless card does it have in it? Wired is different - that will be due to something else.

--------------------
0 Kudos