cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gigabit Hub 4 slow and Samknows no router found

SolubleFibre
Joining in

Hi guys. I've got a Gigabit Virgin connection and a Hub 4, but (set in router mode) when I try to run Samknows it says no compatible router found, and overall I only get about 600Mbps (tested using gigabit, wifi 6 and abut 10 different devices including having only a single device connected to the entire network). Any ideas for what might be wrong and how to fix it?

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Have you tried that on a browser at....

https://speedtest.samknows.com

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Yep I have. Just did it again and:

Latency

16.2 ms

Jitter

3.17 ms

Download

439 Mbps

Upload

49.8 Mbps

I've spent an hour with technical support just now, tried calling twice, and the two people I spoke with don't seem to have the relevant knowledge. They were reading from a script that said that once you've done a Samknows speedtest, your test will be recorded and if other people are also getting slow speeds they will automatically go and send an engineer out to the area. I tried to explain that it's not an area problem, it's that my router isn't being recognised by the Samknows Realspeed test specifically for Hub 4 Gigabit routers and that my individual speed is limited to 600Mbps, but they all just went back to the script. Any advice for how to handle? Would really appreciate any pointers for how to get this resolved.

Ok update - called again this morning, spoke with a third person, lovely lady who helped did some changes in their system and now RealSpeed shows up.

When the numbers are grey and being counted, they're always 900-1000Mbps. Four out of five times it then shows approx 970Mbps to the hub when the numbers go black. But one out of five times it shows approx 400Mbps once the numbers go black. The speed to the computer is always approx 600Mbps (Cat6 - only one device connected). The speed to phone shows 500Mbps (Pixel 4a 5G, Wifi6, all other devices disconnected).

Any ideas? I've previously used Hyperoptic and my computer would get a totally solid gigabit connection - downloads from Steam would run at approx 80MBps, whereas downloads from Steam on my Virgin Gigabit connection now are running at approx 40MBps. 

Hi SolubleFibre

What speeds do you get with the computer/laptop connected via Ethernet only at Samknows? 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hello. Thanks for coming back to me. So when the Hub4 is set in router mode, the wifi is switched off, and one computer is connected via a Cat6a cable, I get 900-1000Mbps to the hub (left side of Samknows Realspeed) and 600Mbps to the computer (right side of Samknows Realspeed). 

The computer has a 10 gigabit card, and the cable is Cat6a, and I have tested that exact physical connection at 10Gb by transferring a file from my NAS which also has a 10 gigabit interface, so the actual physical cable and interface can definitely support multigig speeds (happy to share screenshots if useful). Something is going wrong at the Hub end, and I can't work out what.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi @SolubleFibre,

We do offer a minimum guaranteed speed to the hub, which is about half of your advertised speeds. You can find out more about our speeds here

The minimum guaranteed download speed for your package is 565 Mbps.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Boot PC in safe mode with networking F8 on boot up and do a speed test.

update your NIC drivers

---------------------------------------------------------------