cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gigabit Broadband - Upload speeds of 0.05mbps

horrordad
Tuning in

Hi there, I'm hoping somebody here can help me. 

On Saturday the 15th, we noticed our internet connection became incredibly slow and after a few speed tests we saw that our Upload speed had gone from around 50mbps to 0.05mbps.

Thinking it would be a short-term outage, we tried again the next day and were greeted with approximately the same result. This is across all laptops in the house, regardless of whether we're using Ethernet or Wi-Fi. 

I have spoken to customer service every day since Monday the 17th, and have been told the following

• It's a known issue it will be fixed on the 18th by 9am
  • It's a known issue it will be fixed on the 19th by 9am
  • It's a known issue it will be fixed on the 20th by 9am (there's a theme here)
  • There is no issue, followed by a short period on hold, oh there is an issue and it will be fixed on the 24th by 9am
  • It's because you're using Wi-Fi (I'm not, I'm using Ethernet)
  • It's because your ethernet cable is broken, it's the fourth cable I've tried.
  • It's because there's a problem with your laptop, then tried to transfer me to a department that wanted to charge me money to fix my laptop. 
  • Can you try a desktop PC!? - I must admit I laughed at this one.
  • and a total of 6 times where I've given the complaint number just to be hung up on.

I'm a hardware engineer by trade, so do know the in's and out's of computers and I am absolutely convinced that there is an issue with Virgin Media.

I have a complaint reference number - 181022787

Please, please, please can someone from Virgin Media actually help me!? I'm at my wits end with this and with both me and my partner working from home due to catching the 'vid - it's meant we've lost income for the past four days. 

Help!?

14 REPLIES 14

bally12345
Dialled in

Serious question... Have you rebooted it? 

Not silly at all. But yes have rebooted many times unfortunately it’s still the same. 

As an addition, for the past two nights - past 9pm, the upload speed increases to around 20mbps ... so it's 100% not an issue on my side. 

... and now onto the following day and the upload speed is back to 0.04mbps

C'mon Virgin Media, this is clearly a fault. I can't possibly continue like this on this level of service.

As an update, we are getting T3 timeouts on the upstream (discovered via the Network Log) these seem to happen every time. I've double checked all cables and coax cables and everything is secure. So I need an engineer.

Replying again, as there has still been no resolution. Calling customer service just tells me to reboot my Hub, or told me that it's a problem with my laptop and then hung up when I told them I've tried this on six laptops now. 

The upstream speed increases and the net becomes useable again around 9pm every evening, with no change in hardware. So either there's a problem or VM is throttling (which I know they say they don't do) 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@horrordad wrote:

I have spoken to customer service every day since Monday the 17th, and have been told the following

• It's a known issue it will be fixed on the 18th by 9am
  • It's a known issue it will be fixed on the 19th by 9am
  • It's a known issue it will be fixed on the 20th by 9am (there's a theme here)
  • There is no issue, followed by a short period on hold, oh there is an issue and it will be fixed on the 24th by 9am
  • It's because you're using Wi-Fi (I'm not, I'm using Ethernet)
  • It's because your ethernet cable is broken, it's the fourth cable I've tried.
  • It's because there's a problem with your laptop, then tried to transfer me to a department that wanted to charge me money to fix my laptop. 
  • Can you try a desktop PC!? - I must admit I laughed at this one.
  • and a total of 6 times where I've given the complaint number just to be hung up on.

...VM must think we are all idiots I bet your download speed is fine. 

and with you downloading you upload more then 0.05Mb

Screenshot 2022-09-23 151337.png

---------------------------------------------------------------

Yep, download speed is fine & dandy - though the ping is fairly laggy (around 100ms) 

I've had no reply from any agent here, and the customer support is just shocking on the phone. 

a test you can do is do a download
https://speed.hetzner.de/10GB.bin
as that is running do a speed test and see what your upload speed is
---------------------------------------------------------------