cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig1 upgrade speed fail

Utukku
Tuning in

Hi, 2 weeks ago I upgraded to the Gig1 level. Got a new Hub 4 modem and done the self install. And the speeds are less than spectacular. In fact I would say the speed is around the same or less than my previous 350mb service.

After a few phone calls, they sent an engineer out who changed all the fittings outside and inside the house as well as fitting an inline filter on the back of the modem.

Having done all this, and reset the modem a few times, he ran the "samknows" speed test, which shows 1113mbps to the house but on average only 350-400mbps to the computer. Sometimes I get upto 750mbps. The engineer said that there is a bottleneck between my router and the computer.

So I have replaced my ethernet cables between the modem and computer to CAT6, as well as changing the ethernet card to a 2.5Gbase PCIe ethernet adapter capable of 2500/1000/100Mbps. But the speeds are still showing the same low values.

I also tested the connection with the engineer present using a laptop, and the speed was the same. I have even run the computer with Linux live CD ( to eliminate any window problems ) and the speeds are the same.

So I now considering returning back to my old 350mb connection, unless someone has any ideas?

18 REPLIES 18

Upgraded yesterday to the 1 gig service and getting exactly the same issues. My 500mb service before i was getting between 380-480 wifi signal and 36 upload. Since the upgrade, my speeds have been totally random, from 280-60o but never really above. The speed into the modem is also not too great, about 600-850 but upload speeds are perfect, around 50 plus bot into the modem and on wifi. 

Do you know if the Hub 5 will be sent to all customers or that I have to moan and complain to get 1!? 

cheers

Sorry spelling. Early in the morning.

I can't say for sure if you will get one on release. But I urge you to get an engineer to come check everything. I have been told that the problem I'm suffering is far from an isolated case.

Think about what you are saying. 

A hub4 on 1gig package when working correctly should give you 940mb 

You are not even maxing that out why would 2.5 Ethernet help?

Something else is wrong or you would be getting 940 now on a hub 4.

Either your Ethernet is the problem or it’s virgins dodgy network. Forget the stupid hub 5.

I think you should read the entire thread again. But just in case, here's a summary:

The signal & speed coming into the modem is on average 1114mbps

The speed being measured at the computer is between 230mbps to 450mbps connected direct from the modem by Ethernet cable

1. On a top spec gaming pc with windows 10 connected by Cat8 Ethernet & a 2.5gigbit Ethernet card.

2. Same computer but using Unbutu (to rule out any possible windows problems) same speed problems

3. On a very latest Surface pro laptop, same low speed problem.

Virgin engineers change the hub 4, same problem. Consultation with their support confirm this to be a problem that they are coming across in other installs, and that when testing with a hub 5 the speed triples, hence the reason for hub 5 rollout. THEIR words, not mine.

Why would 2.5gbit help? maybe it doesn't, but it would help ensure there is no "bottleneck" on the computer receiving the speed as suggested by first engineer. I know i'm not maxing out the speed.. I can't because I'm not getting that speed to max out!

I have done everything on my end to ensure it's not my systems causing the problems. 2 different pc's & 2 operating systems used to test proves this.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Utukku wrote:

I think you should read the entire thread again. But just in case, here's a summary:

The signal & speed coming into the modem is on average 1114mbps

<snip>

With that in mind VM are within the Contracted speeds to your Hub unfortunately. They may consider that good enough,

I'm assuming your use the Hub 4 in Router mode, and I note you are thinking of trying to get a Hub 5.  Well have a good read of the forum posts regarding the Hub 5 and you might change your mind.  The Hub 5 is in trials and there are many, many faults yet to be ironed out.

If you were using your Hub 4 in modem mode, that would be slightly different as I believe modem mode has fewer bugs.

As an aside, have you tried a 3rd Party router with the Hub 4 in Modem mode for comparison.?   Also try a known good Cat 5e or Cat 6a cable, as Cat 8 is way overkill and may be affecting the connection to the Hub 4.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the info. Ususally I use the virgin hub in dumb modem mode, and have an Asus RT-AX86U router to use for the wifi etc. But Virgin insist on have a direct connection between their hub and a computer to confirm speeds etc, even though the variability of speeds are the same when I use this router.

I have already tried with Cat5 & Cat6 cables, with the same variable speed problems. It is the engineers that are saying the hub 5 would solve the problem. It's a damn shame that we have to use virgin hubs at all.. but that's another story.

Although they maybe within their contracted speeds, it's actually slower coming from the modem to my computer/s than my previous connection speed. There is no point having a Porche that will only do 50mph. Also the engineer has said, that I am not the only person with this problem that they have come across.

Well it's the hub then, just because they swapped it doesn't mean that one is not duff as well.

Hub4 are well known to have dodgy lan ports.

My pc is a "top of the line" gaming pc with a 2.5g port and I get a constant 945mb download with my HUB4.

If you are willing to put up with it until virgin are kind enough to offer you a hub5 thats up to you.

Personally, I would keep at them until they find the culprit.

If you want you can copy and paste ALL your hub stats here and we can try to diagnose it.

P.S Don't believe everything virgin tell you(or anything for that matter). It sounds more like the engineer just wanted to make excuses and leave.

Hi  @Utukku,

I'm so sorry to hear that these issues are still persisting.

I've had a look at your account in much detail and haven't been able to find any visible issues at all. However I can see that the speeds being received to the hub are over 1000mbs, so it seems like the issue is definitely in the home.

Would you perhaps be able to share a list of wired speed tests with us so we can see how this issue is behaving? There may be a pattern to the fluctuation.

Also,  if you haven't already, it may be worth setting up a free broadband quality monitor and posting the link to the live graph here, so we can monitor your broadband performance in terms of latency.

Kind regards

Beth

Beth