cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig1 upgrade from M500 Oomph

AdamantUK
On our wavelength

I'm currently on M500 Oomph and looking to upgrade to Gig1.

Anyone know what this would cost as I'm currently on a deal?

If I just bought an O2 PAYM SIM (currently about £8 a month), would I then get a free upgrade to Gig1 with Volt or would this not apply as I'm already on Oomph?

/me wonders why this needs to be so complicated! 🙂

12 REPLIES 12

AdamantUK
On our wavelength

Just to add an update to this, I went on live chat and they want an extra £16 along with me re-contracting to move up from M500 to Gig1.

They also said that I wouldn't get Gig1 if I got an O2 PAYM SIM as I wouldn't be eligible for the free speed boost as I have offers on my account and the only people that get the free speed boost are those without offers on my account.

I didn't think that was the case but I also didn't want to accuse the person on live chat of just trying a hard sell on me!

Does anyone know what the actual deal is and the best (read: cheapest!) way to get an upgrade from M500 Oomph to Gig1 (I don't even need a Virgin SIM if they would cancel that to credit some of the cost against the Gig1 service)?

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @AdamantUK 

I'm afraid there are teething problems with customer support and the new volt packages.

All customers can take out Volt as long as they have active accounts with Virgin Media and O2, in the same name, at the same address. 

Volt does not affect their current contract or price. Customers can also add Volt, even if they are an Oomph customer

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hey @newapollo

Thanks for the reply.

I currently have M500 and a 5Gb Oomph SIM showing on my account.  Does this mean I have M500 or I have M350 "boosted" to M500 with Oomph?  If the latter, will it boost again to Gig1 with Volt?

Taking out a PAYM SIM (just to leave it in a drawer!) with O2 for £10 a month (USwitch offers one for £8 a month but it doesn't guarantee that's direct with O2 which I imagine it has to be for Volt to be added) then seems the best bet for me and I can then add Volt which will get me Gig1 speeds?

It seems a bit silly to have to take out an O2 SIM that I'll never use but if that's how I'll get the best deal... 🙂

Hi @AdamantUK

Thanks for posting. Sorry for the confusion. 

If you're on 500mb pre-taking out the O2 SIM, then you'd be boosted to 1Gig when you do take out the O2 SIM and the Volt benefits are applied.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

AdamantUK
On our wavelength

Hi @John_GS

Thanks for the clarification, I did order an O2 SIM a couple of days ago thinking that was right so now just waiting for the systems to figure everything out I guess and sort my volt boost to Gig1.

I currently have a SH3, will I automatically be sent an SH4/5 (I'm a BB only customer) as part of the Volt upgrade?

Thanks again,
Adam

Is there any way of getting an upgrade to an SH4/5 before the Volt stuff goes through?

Just thinking that we are coming up to Xmas and it would be nice that if the benefits get activated I'll be waiting ages for a new hub! 🙂

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @AdamantUK,

You would need both O2 and Virgin upgraded to receive the Volt benefits sorry.

Many thanks, 

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Due to the conflicting answers I cancelled my O2 SIM within the cooling off period.

Will see if it settles down and we get some clarity.

More confusing is I got an email from Virgin the day after saying my volt benefits have been added and I have gone from Oomph M500 and been upgraded to Volt M500!

It seems that you don't actually get to go from Oomph M500 to Volt Gig1?

I did similar with the O2 sim I saw on hotukdeals.com, got my volt upgrade and disney+ for 3 months so you probably shouldn't have cancelled. 

O2 confirmed there should be no additional charges. I didn't recontract or pay additional charges. Despite numerous advisors telling mw the same as you.

Contact o2 via twitter and as long as your name and address on both accounts match it should be fine. Takes a good few days to activate.