cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig1 speeds with Asus DSL AC88u

PaulJD
On our wavelength

Hi all,

This morning I hooked up my gig1 in modem mode to my Asus AC88U and I’m averaging speeds of 900 is this about right? I’m a little disappointed as before I had the 350 package and was averaging 380mbps so expected the gig1 to give a little more too..

Am I missing something? I’m not very network savvy to any help would be appreciated.

paul

9 REPLIES 9

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Approx 950 is the max you will ever get from the Hubs Ethernet ports. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

PaulJD
On our wavelength

Thanks for the reply, isn’t it a little misleading by Virgin to say the average speeds are between 1075-1140 knowing I won’t see those speeds at all? 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Marketing I guess, you will get the full speed if using two or more devices concurrently. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Due to overprovisioning you can get higher speeds than expected but from a Gigabit Ethernet port you cannot get more than about 940Mbps due to overheads. However the hub 5 has a single 2.5Gbps port which will provide the maximum speeds possible but it's not on general release.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

PaulJD
On our wavelength

Thanks for the answers guys, one more thing that’s been bothering me…….when I was on the M350 it would always be hitting 380 on every speed test, I’ve been doing a few speed tests today on the gig1 and it ranges from 150mbps to the max I’ve had of 907mbps, it’s normally hovering around 600 though which is a little concerning. 

What could be causing this? Thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Too many people have the same idea if running speed test many times and not for something useful?
---------------------------------------------------------------

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @PaulJD, thanks for your post although I'm sorry you're having some concerns with the speeds you're receiving.

Although the speeds you are receiving are generally above the guaranteed download speed, I have ran some checks and it appears that there are some problems with the power levels to the Hub.

With this in mind I'm happy to get a technician arranged for you to look into this, but first I need to drop you a PM to ask you to confirm some details before I can book this in.

Please expect this PM to arrive shortly and reply directly when you can!

Many thanks

Tom_W

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @PaulJD, thanks for confirming the details I requested privately.

With this information, I've been able to book in a technician for you to get this issue resolved.

Although I can't disclose the date and time publicly, you'll get a text message confirmation and it's also viewable on your My Virgin Media app where you can also reschedule it if required too.

If the issue for the technician's apppointment is as a result of misuse, neglect, accidental or willful damage, or if the technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your personal equipment, you will be charged £25.
If the appointment is missed there is a £25 charge for a missed appointment.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Many thanks

Tom_W

PaulJD
On our wavelength

Thanks Tom. 👍🏼